New Macbook Air OS question (ripped off?)

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased a new Macbook Air a few weeks ago as a christmas present. Once it was opened and booted up I noticed there was no iCloud app on it, only MobileMe. When I bought it, I was told this computer had the latest software and OS on it but now I am wondering.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did you purchase the MBA and what OSX is installed? Also what are the basic specs?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Cause iCloud isn't an app. >_>" You access it through iCloud.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Where did you buy it, Craigslist (or the like) or Apple? It should be in System Preferences > iCloud. The iCloud icon should be on the 3rd row from the top under the heading "Wireless & Internet".

If it isn't, here is a guide...

Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

You can also search to see if it's somehow on your system, but hidden, by using spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of your screen) and just typing in iCloud. If it's there, you should see some entries like iCloudPref.prefpane

If it truly isn't there, you can call Apple for some insight, or just backup your OS and reinstall Lion from Recovery Mode by booting and holding down the "Command+R" keys... then apply all updates to make sure you have all the required components.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

Try that, and let us know where it takes you. Good luck, and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Someone else may know of another way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
if you have the required OS (10.7) it should be under the apple picture in the top left...
then hit system preferences... then it will be under internet and wireless.. just click it and then change the settings as you please..

but always include the specs and OS version so the real gifted people on here can help you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
First click the Apple in the upper left and select "About This Mac..." Then "More Info..."

This should list Lion as your OS. If it doesn't, you need to see if you are eligible for the up to date program: Up To Date

If it does say Lion than go to the next step.

With the computer connected to WiFi simply click the Apple in the upper left corner and select "Software Update..."

You may have simply gotten a new computer that was shipped before the updates.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Crimson is right though. I am just wanting to see if you got the latest OS and hardware.

iCloud is on the internet.

There IS an iCloud setting pane in System Preferences though on my iMac with 10.7.2 installed. It's under Internet and Wireless.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies, I am impressed (it is Midnight here). Sorry for not giving the specs. I got it from best buy and it is the 13" 128GB, 1.7GHz Intel Core i5. When I noticed there was no icon for iCloud, I looked at the Software Updates and there were a bunch of updates. When I installed the updates, and it rebooted then the iCloud icon was there (in the Systems Preferences).

I wish I would have looked at what OS version it was initially (now it is 10.7.2). I guess it doesn't matter now, I was just wondering.

Another question, and if I should post it in a different section of the Forum please tell me and I will:

I have a 2010 27" Mac (running SL OS X 10.6.8). I want to transfer some music and pictures from the Mac to the above mentioned MBA. I was going to use the iCloud and that means installing the Lion OS on my Mac. After reading some pretty bad things about Lion, I am not sure I want to do it that way now. I love the way my Mac runs and don't want to (possibly) mess it up. What other way could I transfer pretty large files to the MBA? I have a WiFi through Airport Express. I tried using Migration Assistant but it won't let me do individual pictures or music, only my whole collection. Or maybe I just don't know the right way to use it? Actually, what I would really like is for the MBA to be able to access all the stuff I have on my Mac somehow.

Thanks again!

OP
C
Reaction score
There IS an iCloud setting pane in System Preferences though on my iMac with 10.7.2 installed. It's under Internet and Wireless.

Yes, that is where I was looking originally and it was not there. That is what led me to wonder if they sold me an earlier version of the OS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That got added with either 10.7.1 or I think 10.7.2. Glad you got the real deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.