# of photos I-Photo can Store on Mac OSx?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've got a lot and I'm wondering how many photos the OS will hold?

Pretty much as many as you have disk space to accommodate. I don't believe there's a hard limit imposed by the software.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks - how can I check how much disk space I have left?

Open Macintosh HD from your desktop (or, if you don't have a "Macintosh HD icon" on your desktop, simply open Finder). With the system drive selected, it should always show the capacity at the bottom of the window:

00000283.png

To see more details about your hard drive, find the Macintosh HD icon, right click it and choose "Get Info":

00000284.png

Reaction score
I start a new iPhoto library at 10,000 photos .. it keeps iPhoto running faster .. i just use iPhoto for storing photos , i use aperture 3 and lightroom 3 for pp photos .

Reaction score
help with storing photos

I have accumulated over 18,000 pictures in my iphoto library. I use it for both work and personal. This many photos definitely slows down my macbookpro. I'm looking for the best way to backup my photos on my backup hard drive and get them off my laptop so it is zippier. I don't want to lose my tags, ratings and keywords. Suggestions?

I guess I'm not sure what was meant by "I start a new iphoto library at 10,000 photos."????

C

chas_m

1. You can just copy the entire iPhoto Library folder over to another drive. Then start up iPhoto holding down the option key, direct it to the "new" library, and then delete the old library. The new one will become the default library (it is important to be sure the drive is mounted when calling up iPhoto after that, otherwise it will create a new blank library on your boot drive when it can't find the "default" one). This works the same in iTunes for music, BTW.

2. What dmunroe means is that once he reaches 10,000 photos in a given library, he creates a new one. iPhoto supports multiple libraries but can only load one at a time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.