• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Still have a CRT tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Am I the only loser with a CRT tv still? :D

I still haven't made the jump to a flat screen.

Still debating on Plasma versus LED. Plasma is so cheap and looks so good I am thinking of Getting a Panasonic or Samsung 50 inch for around $500.00.

By the time I made a decision OLED will be out and I will wait another 5 years when the price comes down :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I haven't made the jump to a LCD TV yet either. Have no real need for it, the old one still works fine. :p

(1000th post btw, ;D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Until next week in our bedroom, yes. But just ordered a 23" LED for there, so totally flat screen here.
Went plasma when my flat Sony CRT died 4 years ago, never looked back.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
No CRTs in this house - for a while now. I think we might have a 13" CRT in storage but it's been there since '08 and if/when we ever move - it will not move with us.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
PS - Plasma is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I have my old CRT in my bedroom but an LCD in the living room. What I've noticed is that you really have to see the image quality of the flat screen first hand when you are buying because there are a surprising amount of flat screens that aren't better than my CRT.

If most of your TV shows are still standard definition resolution then you need to make sure the flat screen you are buying can show those TV shows well. My flat screen is horrible with standard definition TV but is great with DVDs and HD TV.

I do like how flat screens are much lighter for the same screen size. I no longer need to ask a friend to help me carry a TV. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Technically, Plasma and LED/LCD, have only just caught up with CRT for standard definition. This is why it is only recently that manufacurers have stopped making CRT, because there was still a market.
I agree you need to shopa round though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 16GB WiFi
CRT here still, when it goes, I'll make the change. For the amount of TV I watch the old tube still works just fine!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I have a 32" LCD Sony with freesat and freeview tuners, with humax freesat and freeview hard drive recorders

BUT in my loft and has not been used for many, many years is a little cream box with a 12" screen, a Sony Trinitron that i used with my ZX Spectrum 48k with twin micro drives, if anybody here can remember that far back ! or perhaps i am giving my Age away LOL.

In fact i don't really know why i am keeping the little 12" Sony, i don't think it has a Scart socket in it anyway and the telescopic aerial is broken off completely.

In fact i can remember going to a Computer "club" in milton keynes and spending all evening Copying, oop's i mean Backing UP, Software from cassette tape to another cassette tape, jeez, those were the days !!!!!

I did like Hungry Horace Goes Sking, Jet Pac, Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner !!.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
We've been CRT-less for about 3 years now. Replaced a Samsung CRT with a Panasonic 32" LCD about 3 years ago, and the HDMI inputs have now fallen over which I'm a bit miffed with.

That telly was relegated upstairs when that happened, and we now have a white Samsung 8 series LED sitting proud in the lounge. It's awesome. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have LOTS of CRT TV's in my place. I'm able to buy used 36" CRT TV's for about $25 bucks in my area off Craig's List. These things are great for gaming, for a basement TV, guest bedroom, or master bedroom TV.

If you do the "screen math"...and if you watch a lot of standard definition TV...you need at least a 44" flat screen TV for a standard definition program to be the same size as on a 36" CRT TV.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Technically, Plasma and LED/LCD, have only just caught up with CRT for standard definition. This is why it is only recently that manufacurers have stopped making CRT, because there was still a market.
I agree you need to shopa round though.

This is why the BBC were, and could possibly still be using Sony Trinitron CRT for reference in the studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
There's a lot of football (soccer) on in our house, and watching it in standard def is just horrible. Horrible.

Makes me wonder how I watched it before HD came about. :)

Never seen a game in 3D though, I bet that's interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Not to go too far off topic but I'm not a big fan of 3D. If I wanted to see 3D I would go see the game in person. ;)

In general I prefer 2D TV and movies in theaters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
2x Vizio LCD's here since 2008. No complaints. They work well as monitors for my Mac Mini as well. I'd still have my 32" Sony Trinitron CRT is it hadn't cost like $500 for a new picture tube. That one lasted from 1998 to 2008, so I expect these Vizios to go until 2018 in a perfect world. We'll see...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I still have one.. a giant RCA 32" .. the thing weighs about 275lbs.. Can't wait to take it out back with an 8lb sledge after I get a new panel.

I've had many flat panels, had an older 42" RCA plasma, really sucked.. a 40" Aquos LCD (very nice), and a Panasonic Viera LCD (nicest of the 3 I've owned).

I returned the Viera because it wasn't worth the $125/month I was paying for it.

I'm instead going to save up to buy a nice TV outright instead of through a finance company.

Reaction score
Not to go too far off topic but I'm not a big fan of 3D. If I wanted to see 3D I would go see the game in person. ;)

In general I prefer 2D TV and movies in theaters.

out of curiosity have you seen some 3D movies on a panel with active 3D glasses? Blows theaters out of the water. I have a 55" Panny plasma 3D and buy every 3D movie that comes out because i LOVE IT.

I don't have any CRT televisions left just the plasma and a 32" LCD

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Rustproof probably a dumb question but how is the quality of the 2d movies?

With 3d coming down in price I was thinking of buying a 3d plasma TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have been CRT free for 8 years as an installer flat panel tech blows CRT away in every field except black levels especially blacker than black for the videophiles until this year with the new ELITE TV's and real close with the VT line of Panasonic they finally equal not beat CRT.
If you have a brightly lit room are one that has a lot of windows get an LED backlit LCD.
If you have a darker room and movies are your main source get the plasma.
If they can ever get cost and reliability of OLED down it could be the best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a lot of football (soccer) on in our house, and watching it in standard def is just horrible. Horrible.

Makes me wonder how I watched it before HD came about. :)

There is another reason for this. The broadcasters give minimal bandwidth to SD broadcasts these days, so the picture is awful as a result. Any SD broadcast on Sky is abysmal, but it never used to be. HD takes a ton of bandwidth, and there are loads of HD channels now, so the SD has suffered more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.