• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Posting iMovie to Website via YouTube

Reaction score
I have posted three videos to my website using iMovie and uploading to YouTube. When they open on YouTube they are fine. And when they open on my site they are fine, too--except for one annoying thing. When the video ends, the video frame fills up with thumbnails with other videos related to me. Some of these are old, some of them are ugly, and I don't want the thumbnails on my site because it looks as if I approve of them. On YouTube, the other videos are lined up on the right, but everyone knows that's fairly random.

Can anyone tell me how to keep the videos on my site but get rid of these thumbnails? This morning I tried removing all the Tags through the YouTube Edit page but so far it hasn't made any difference. And I'm unable to find anything through YouTube so far. I'm sure they see this as a feature not a bug.

I know this is more a YouTube question than a Mac/iMovie question but you can't blame me for trying!

Happy holidays, everyone!

GB

C

chas_m

You don't.

This is part of how YouTube functions as a business. They don't just give away billions of videos out of a saintly disposition for sharing, you know.

OP
G
Reaction score
Gee, you mean YouTube is not a charity? I'm shocked.

I did manage to find two places that offer the same solution, which--to put it briefly--amounts to adding a tiny bit of code to the embedded URL. I haven't tried it yet but I'll post back how it works--or not.

These are the sites:

This link tells how to fix it manually:
How To Disable Related Videos On Embedded YouTube Player

This one seems to be an actual tool for doing it automatically:
YouTube Embed Code Customizer - High Quality-Search Box and related videos options

Cheers,

GB

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, here it is.

Those two links no longer work. It seems they did at one time but they don't now. Comments lower down on the sites confirm that others have the same experience.

Good news is, YouTube actually offers this option right on the Upload page. When you set it up to Embed, it gives you the code. That code contains instructions to "Show Related Thumbnails." We work exclusively on laptops, so didn't notice that, if you scroll down, YouTube shows you the various options you can check or uncheck. "Show Related Thumbnails" is checked, unless you uncheck it. We have now done that, and the problem is solved. Even better, the option remains unchecked for any other video you choose to embed--unless you check it again.

So I guess YouTube is a charity, after all!

Wishing you all the best for the holidays,

GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
I'm glad you posted this question and the answer. Handy to know for what I shall be doing. Bookmarked.

C

chas_m

Yes, thanks for letting us know. I'm happy to be wrong on this one and I learned something new! Hurrah!

Reaction score
Gee, you mean YouTube is not a charity? I'm shocked.

I did manage to find two places that offer the same solution, which--to put it briefly--amounts to adding a tiny bit of code to the embedded URL. I haven't tried it yet but I'll post back how it works--or not.

These are the sites:

This link tells how to fix it manually:
How To Disable Related Videos On Embedded YouTube Player

This one seems to be an actual tool for doing it automatically:
YouTube Embed Code Customizer - High Quality-Search Box and related videos options

Cheers,

GB

Thank you! I was tearing my hair out trying to sort this problem out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.