File xfer from a windows 7 to a macpro

Reaction score
Having used nothing other that PC's, historically, daughter wants to get a MAC (MAC PRO) for college. She can get the typical OFFICE software from the school (cheap). Ok, fine.

My question is file tranfers from her existing PC to a new MAC, including OFFICE files, CD's, photos, music, etc. How hard is this to do in reality? No fluff, no propaganda or marketing. Really. I realize this is a MAC-centric forum, therefore, some bias is expected and that is a given. No issue. Insights into the reality of migrating existing files from a Win7 to a MAC would be sincerely appreciated ny s MAC newbie

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
No problem with any of that. Pretty much like moving files from one PC to another PC. The only thing I had any issue with was moving mail from my PC to the Mac but I don't think that's really an issue anymore depending on what she's using.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure I understand the question, really. How would it be different than transferring the files to another Windows computer?

PS. A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

PPS. I think you mean a MacBook Pro, not Mac Pro. Or maybe I'm wrong, but college students seem to prefer notebooks these days.

OP
K
Reaction score
Chas_m,

Thank you for the reply. My questions were anticipatory. My last Apple exposure was to a Lisa several... years ago. Since, as a family, we have been PC centric over the last couple of decades and my daughter will be 3K miles away with a new Apple, I am trying to understand if there are processes, issues or procedures for migrating files that may be very common and well understood by Apple users but may be less obvious to those with limited, outdated or no Apple experience. I would think that Apple would have made transitioning from a PC to an Apple an art form or totally transparent. Not knowing the validity of that premise I would rather ask up front than be surprised or frustrated later. Having not been exposed to Apple products for quite some time I am merely trying to acquire some insights from others based on others experience as a newbie. If there are no significant issues with typical PDF, JPEG, .doc, .ppt, .xls, outlook... etc., great, life is good.

Regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
As long as you have office installed for the office specific files it's a no brainer. Every other file type you've mentioned is completely multi-platform

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
What you may want to do is, in addition to the Macbook Pro, purchase an External Hard Drive. Western Digital makes great ones, and they are available from Amazon, Target, Staples, any place that sells computer stuff. Basically, the External Hard Drive is a great way to back up all the files that your daughter has on her Windows computer, and after she puts the files on it, she can simply plug it in and copy them to her Mac. Pretty fast and convenient! The 320 GB one I have is small and compact, smaller than a paperback novel. It is also completely encased, giving it some protection from the outside world. (You would still want to avoid dropping it, however, just like with any electronic.) It made my setup so much easier.

OP
K
Reaction score
kaioshoryuken1,

I think... I have fallen into your scenario not based on brilliance but on blind luck.(realizing I am not a techie).

I bought my daughter a "clickfree" backup drive for her PC (ocurrently on it's last legs). She will have her MacBook Pro in two weeks or so. The school sells Office.

Load up Office, attach the clickfree drive (where WERE the instructions... hummm, I hope she saved them. No biggie, on line), download files from the Clickfree to the MacBook and proceed the dark side. Yea, if this works, I may have to consider an Apple for myself. Maybe. That's a severe step but it might happen.

Thanks for the reply !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
No problem :) There's really something to be said for Macs, though, they are so easy to use. There was very little learning curve, just playing around with it for a little while. I was surprised how similar Windows 7 was with their Explorer, though Finder does the job much better, as for the rest of the operating system as well. The new hand gestures in Lion are so convenient. Using two fingers to scroll up and down instead of having to click on the scrollbar/use arrow keys to navigate the page is so much easier considering how much time I spend on the internet. :D

Reaction score
I just read this post, and holy smokes...

I'm not sure I understand the question, really. How would it be different than transferring the files to another Windows computer?

PS. A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

PPS. I think you mean a MacBook Pro, not Mac Pro. Or maybe I'm wrong, but college students seem to prefer notebooks these days.

Could you be a bigger loser. Who gives a crap how people spell and write MAC!!!! Lighten up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.