• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Steve Jobs to Be Honored with Grammy Award

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I can't think of anybody more deserving than him...:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Done. Mind you Bill Gates would deserve the same and some would be down on that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Done. Mind you Bill Gates would deserve the same and some would be down on that.

True. I could never hate ANY technical innovators / artists who have brought us such amazing creations.

I don't even dislike Bill Gates. He is a genius just as Jobs was, I just tend to side with Jobs' sense of design and efficiency.

Different styles, different approaches but both brilliant people who revolutionized our world.

Now will some more of you guys reading this chime in with your votes on that Yahoo thread? We're getting creamed over there! :)

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I liked the one guy's post about how the iPod "killed" the music industry.

If anything, the iPod, and more importantly, iTunes SAVED the music industry. Yes, people are now able to buy music ala carte instead of in a bundle, but had no one come along and built an easy-to-use way to get digital music legally onto an MP3 player, the industry would have been much worse off. At least a significant portion of this country are BUYING music.

It would have been a lot different had the industry continued to move in the direction of awkward, disconnected players and services that made people confused about how to get digital music. Piracy would have been just as easy as buying music and the market would have shifted that way to a much greater extent.

I've never really paid much attention to the Grammy awards, but if there has always been a category for technical innovation, I can think of few more deserving of a posthumous award.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
All Yahoo commenter make me realize is that there are a bunch of stupid morons behind the keyboard. That's why I don't pay much attention to Yahoo news....seems to gather the kinds of people who are some form of extremism of one or more categories.

What I also like is how he was awarded the honor for technology, yet people talk crap about how a dedicated musician should have been awarded instead of him.
Stupid, ignorant people.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad that I'm old enough to remember when most people didn't think they knew everything.

Too many people these days aren't willing to learn or adapt. They just pick a position and fire away with the hate.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I also like is how he was awarded the honor for technology, yet people talk crap about how a dedicated musician should have been awarded instead of him.

And it's not like there's only one Grammy award.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If you ever want to get just an inkling of why we're in a serious state of decline - just pick an article - can be about anything - on yahoo or cnn and just start reading the comments. You'll quickly realize that dumb people have been breeding at a much quicker rate than others - and they're all posting regularly on articles on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
No posthumous honorary knighthood though, as some - including myself - had anticipated...

Guess they thought Sir Jonny was enough for Apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
If you ever want to get just an inkling of why we're in a serious state of decline - just pick an article - can be about anything - on yahoo or cnn and just start reading the comments. You'll quickly realize that dumb people have been breeding at a much quicker rate than others - and they're all posting regularly on articles on the internet.

I'm not from the States, but I agree - it's actually a global problem. I'm not quite sure if it's down to being a little less intelligent or rather a good dose of laziness...or both. Either way, it's frustrating and worrying.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I don't think it's that stupid people are outbreeding more intelligent folks - I think it's just that the public at large has never been given such a vast platform to communicate with. So now, you're getting to see how dumb humanity really is.

Not sure if that's an consolation, but it does explain a few things - like why people bought Yugos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I don't think it's that stupid people are outbreeding more intelligent folks - I think it's just that the public at large has never been given such a vast platform to communicate with. So now, you're getting to see how dumb humanity really is.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~ George Carlin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I liked the one guy's post about how the iPod "killed" the music industry.

If anything, the iPod, and more importantly, iTunes SAVED the music industry. Yes, people are now able to buy music ala carte instead of in a bundle, but had no one come along and built an easy-to-use way to get digital music legally onto an MP3 player, the industry would have been much worse off. At least a significant portion of this country are BUYING music.

It would have been a lot different had the industry continued to move in the direction of awkward, disconnected players and services that made people confused about how to get digital music. Piracy would have been just as easy as buying music and the market would have shifted that way to a much greater extent.

I've never really paid much attention to the Grammy awards, but if there has always been a category for technical innovation, I can think of few more deserving of a posthumous award.

You raise an important point that the movie industry seems to be missing despite the success of things like iTunes and AmazonMP3: the best way to combat piracy is to offer a product so good and convenient that the effort of pirating is no longer worth it. Yet here we are still stuck with ridiculous DRM schemes for any downloaded videos that make the paid digital products nearly worthless. At least Steam seems to be getting it mostly right with their digital distribution of video games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.