What's the depreciation on a high end MBP like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I've had good luck buying and selling the base 15" MBP's in the past and right now I'm using a Macbook, which just isn't cutting it. I have that because I figured my desktop would be good enough, but sitting infront of a desk for that much time out of the day sucks and I'd rather be somewhere more comfortable.

Rumors are putting the new MBP's with a major redesign out around Q2 with some saying may. I could wait, but that's a whole 5 months from now. Any guess on the percentage of depreciation of a 5 month old 17" MBP?

C

chas_m

I sincerely doubt that, having just recently invented and patented unibody chassis techniques that Apple is interested in abandoning it.

New MBPs in the spring? Probably. Major re-design? Very unlikely I'd say.

I couldn't offer you any speculation on "depreciation" since that very much hinges on whether I'm right or you're right about the re-design idea. But broadly speaking Macs only depreciate significantly when a totally new processing technology comes around, and that doesn't appear to be on the horizon (improvements yes, totally new tech no).

So presuming that Apple hasn't got a major re-design up their sleeve, I'd say the machines won't depreciate much between now and spring.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I sincerely doubt that, having just recently invented and patented unibody chassis techniques that Apple is interested in abandoning it.

New MBPs in the spring? Probably. Major re-design? Very unlikely I'd say.

I couldn't offer you any speculation on "depreciation" since that very much hinges on whether I'm right or you're right about the re-design idea. But broadly speaking Macs only depreciate significantly when a totally new processing technology comes around, and that doesn't appear to be on the horizon (improvements yes, totally new tech no).

So presuming that Apple hasn't got a major re-design up their sleeve, I'd say the machines won't depreciate much between now and spring.

2880x1800 res and smaller MBP like bodies without CD drives is the rumor I've seen from more than one source, especially with Lion supporting new textures and such, I could survive a $500 hit for 5 month or use, but I've not looked too closely at how well the 17" MBP's hold their values. The base 15" models I'd sold have held pretty well with me only losing several hundred dollars on the sale of each, with one being the old non unibody design.

I don't think that they'd abandon the unibody design, but that doesn't mean that they won't reshape it and make it thinner and more MBA like.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Rumors are putting the new MBP's with a major redesign out around Q2 with some saying may. I could wait, but that's a whole 5 months from now. Any guess on the percentage of depreciation of a 5 month old 17" MBP?

Buy a used older model MacBook Pro (just like a used...but relatively new model automobile)...much of the depreciation "hit" is absorbed by the original purchaser.

And if you purchase the used computer via Craig's List...then you get to see, touch, feel, play-with, etc....the computer before buying to insure it's operational & cosmetic condition.

I always bought new computers for about 10-12 years...and I got tired of paying the new computer prices...and suffering the steep depreciation. Then I got "smart"...now for the last 12-14 years...I've ONLY purchased used Macintosh's.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Did you not notice the name of the site?

Yeah, they might do that -- maybe. But if they did, the current MBPs would actually become MORE valuable, as they would have MORE ports, an optical drive and other stuff pros would find useful (pros like having options, that's why the Mac Pro is the only Mac with slots!).

I'm aware that the next MBP might be thinner, but I wouldn't call that a major re-design. I doubt it would be as thin as an MBA (otherwise, why sell the MBA at all?). There needs to be a physical, not just spec sheet, distinction between the two lines.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Did you not notice the name of the site?

Yeah, they might do that -- maybe. But if they did, the current MBPs would actually become MORE valuable, as they would have MORE ports, an optical drive and other stuff pros would find useful (pros like having options, that's why the Mac Pro is the only Mac with slots!).

I'm aware that the next MBP might be thinner, but I wouldn't call that a major re-design. I doubt it would be as thin as an MBA (otherwise, why sell the MBA at all?). There needs to be a physical, not just spec sheet, distinction between the two lines.

Did you actually do any research? I figure not. :|

If you google Macbook Pro 2012, there's a lot of other sites speculating on similar upgrades without mention the digitimes article. I think I only went through the first 5 pages of search results, though, so I don't know if that enough for me to gather any kind of conclusion about what would be a possible upgrade.

Regardless, the Unibody MBP line was new in 2007 or 2008, so it's at least 3 years old and an major update is not out of the question.

That's not what this thread is about though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.