ATV2 with Denon AVR1910 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,

I hope that someone can help here.

I believe that FC may be bringing me an Apple TV2 for Christmas and my proposed hook-up is via HDMI and Optical.

I have spare HDMI and Optical inputs on the Denon.

My question is will everything (music-wise) just pass through as the amp has just one HDMI output which is already connected to my Samsung TV?

Also does anyone have any opinions about the quality of streaming audio output via this method. I might add that my collection is in lossless so can I expect whatever the ATV gives to my amp is in PCM at least?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello,

I hope that someone can help here.

I believe that FC may be bringing me an Apple TV2 for Christmas and my proposed hook-up is via HDMI and Optical.

I have spare HDMI and Optical inputs on the Denon.

My question is will everything (music-wise) just pass through as the amp has just one HDMI output which is already connected to my Samsung TV?

Also does anyone have any opinions about the quality of streaming audio output via this method. I might add that my collection is in lossless so can I expect whatever the ATV gives to my amp is in PCM at least?

I have an ATV2 and Denon receiver (don't remember which and too lazy to go look just now). Bought my receiver about three years ago and at the time it was a low to mid price model, one or two steps up from the basic.

Regardless, my ATV2 connects to one of (I believe) five HDMI inputs and the video passes thru with the audio when I switch to that input.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razor..top man..mine is medium spec and about 2 years old.
One less thing to worry about on that front then.

Thank you for your input.:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm..I hooked up my new ATV to the Denon via HDMI and Optical.

Config is HDMI to the HDMI 1 (DVD) input and Optical to the Opt 2 Input. I've reassigned the inputs on the Denon to match and get no video signal to the TV.

I did initially get a voice asking whether I wanted voiceover but that's been it so far.

Does anyone have any ideas, I've done the resets/unplug scenarios ?

I'd be grateful if anyone else can share any similar experience, I'm certain that the video should pass through. Everything is set to Auto on the receiver but I can't spot the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Does it work without the optical? The signal may be getting confused if your Denon has HDMI passthrough.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok Kev. I'll try that now, reset things and drop the Optical off the Input assignment

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mate.. Samsung TV just saying 'no signal' on screen. All I've ever had is the Receiver as the one source connected from HDMI Out on the Receiver to an input on the Samsung.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. Try ATV direct to the TV (if you have a spare HDMI port) and optical for sound to the reciever.
What it may be is that the HDMI "handshake" from the ATV via the receiver is not compatible (I had this issue) OR even that the ATV itself is not.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Try ATV direct to the TV (if you have a spare HDMI port) and optical for sound to the reciever.
What it may be is that the HDMI "handshake" from the ATV via the receiver is not compatible (I had this issue) OR even that the ATV itself is not.

I just did this Kev.
I'm getting the voiceover prompting me to choose languages etc but no video signal still.
Going into the source menu on the TV it says that it's not connected on the spare input although physically it is.

EDIT: I've just had a cursory glance at some known HDMI handshake issues between Samsung TV and Apple TV...I wonder why??!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have a 40" and a 32" Samsung both connected to apple tvs through HDMI - and I don't have any issues. I did run HDMI to the TVs - then run the optical out of the TV to my receiver. So the downside is - just to listen to music the TV has to be on. I would try connecting to another port - as well as using a known good cable. Could be the cable is bad, the port is bad. You didn't mention of you tried this or not.

That being said - it doesn't surprise me that there are handshake issues out there. HDMI has built in DRM in the form of HDCP - so it is all digital encrypted transfer between devices - there is a lot going on in the background just to get your clean digital signal into your TV.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting . . . first I've heard of problems like this, especially the TV dependant part. I have an older Olevia HDTV and the ATV works both direct and through the Denon pass through.

Have you seen and tried this:
Prevent HDMI signal drops from Apple TV to Samsung TV - Mac OS X Hints

Found it while I was looking after reading your post.

Hi Razor,

Mine is a Samsung LE40B650T2W (Series 6). I've already had a look in the TV settings, I had to use Info-Menu-Mute-Power to enter and there is no 'Service' option (unless I'm entering the wrong menu?).

What I did find in Control/Config Option was a setting for HDMI Hotplug which was disabled already. Previous to this I had turned off the Anynet+.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try connecting to another port - as well as using a known good cable. Could be the cable is bad, the port is bad. You didn't mention of you tried this or not.

Hmm, I'd considered this IvanLasston but lost the plot after 4 hours and didn't try. So far these set-ups haven't proved fruitful:

Connected HDMI/Optical to Receiver .
Connected HDMI to TV-Optical to Receiver.
Connected HDMI only to Receiver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just another thought, now I'm back.
Is your HDMI cable definitely HDMI 1.3, and not the older 1.1? This could make a difference, but usually only from an audio point of view (1.1 can't carry full HD Audio codecs)>
I still suspect the Handshake is the issue, and that is very bad of Apple to have not addressed this, as it's been a known issue since day 1. I bought an ATV2 last Christmas, and had to return it as it didn't want to play with my Hitachi Plasma.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just another thought, now I'm back.
Is your HDMI cable definitely HDMI 1.3, and not the older 1.1? This could make a difference, but usually only from an audio point of view (1.1 can't carry full HD Audio codecs)>
I still suspect the Handshake is the issue, and that is very bad of Apple to have not addressed this, as it's been a known issue since day 1. I bought an ATV2 last Christmas, and had to return it as it didn't want to play with my Hitachi Plasma.

Hi,
It's a QED Classic HDMI-P V1.3 Certified 1080P cable.

I originally had it hooked up between the Receiver and the TV a couple of years ago but changed it for a longer lead.

I agree, if it is Apple then it's very bad. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Denon has Component Video out ports. May be worth trying those assuming your TV has component in ports.

This is my receiver BTW. I have the AVR790
Amazon.com: Denon AVR790 7.1-Channel Multi-Zone Home Theater Receiver with 1080p HDMI Connectivity: Electronics

Thanks for the suggestion.

So would this mean an HDMI to Component Convertor from the Apple; to Component Video In on the Amp, and then Component Video Out to the TV ?

EDIT: I've just been reading this..https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2787959?start=0&tstart=0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the TV has component in, and the amp has component out, you could try the ATV via HDMI to the amp, and then component out to the TV. This may eliminate the handshake issue.
I just read through some of the posts on that topic. The DVI connection does not alleviate the handshake issue either, I know because that's how I had mine connected.
The converter mentioned may be the only solution if that doesn't work, or, out with the ATV in place of an alternative, which is what I ended up doing (sadly, I liked the ATV idea).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion.

So would this mean an HDMI to Component Convertor from the Apple; to Component Video In on the Amp, and then Component Video Out to the TV ?

EDIT: I've just been reading this..https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2787959?start=0&tstart=0

As Kevin said, I meant using the HDMI in to your receiver and component video out. I'm not at my house so can't access the Denon menu, but I remember (I think) that in the configuration menu I could associate different audio and video settings to each input (including using Component Video instead of HDMI).
If that doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.