the start up disk can not be partitioned (Help)

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up bootcamp and I get to the part where it asks me to download the windows, which i already have so I click continue and this message appears

"the start up disk can not be partitioned or restored to a single partition
The start up disk must be formatted as a single mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by bootcamp assistant for windows"

The problem is, my disk is a Single Mac OS extended (Journaled) and i've tried every suggestion including;

cmd S and then typing in a code in which looks like a programing screen.
Inserting my installation cd and doing a repair on my hard drive
Using the "clean empty files" (not on the installation cd)

But none of that has worked. Is my only option now to reformat my hard drive? meaning I lose all my programs?

Thanks in advance,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The message is deceiving in that it doesn't tell you everything. The problem you're having is that your hard drive is fragmented and there is not enough free contiguous space so that the Boot Camp Assistant can create a partition.

Two ways to solve it: 1. Buy iDefrag and run it. ($30.95)

2. The free way: Make a full backup of your hard drive using Time Machine. Boot your machine with your install media and erase, format the hard drive, and then press on to reinstall OS X. During the re-installation you will be asked if you wish to restore from a Time Machine backup. Reply yes, and make sure your external hard drive with the TM backup is attached. The system will be completely restored.

Now try again to run the Boot Camp Assistant and create the partition. It should work.

And by the way, it's always helpful to provide specs about your Mac and which version of OS X it's running.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply.

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch 4gb and 2.3 ghz intel core i5. With Leopard. If i make a full back up of my hard drive on an external hard drive, will restoring it not restore the hard drive back to the fragmented self?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks so much for your reply.

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch 4gb and 2.3 ghz intel core i5. With Leopard. If i make a full back up of my hard drive on an external hard drive, will restoring it not restore the hard drive back to the fragmented self?

No, it will remove the fragmentation which is why it's one of the recommended methods.

As far as choosing between the two methods, that's up to you. I own a copy of iDefrag 2 and have used it several times to remove fragmentation. It works very well but be advised that in most cases it must be run in a "stand alone" mode. In other words, you must give full control to iDefrag which means you can't use the machine while it's running. It may take several hours or all night. Depends on how large the drive is and how fragmented it has become.

The other method using Time Machine takes about an hour to get back up running again and doesn't cost you anything.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try the free one first. From looking at guides, when you go to erase, it will ask you for new information to create it's replace correct?

Thanks again for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.