Converting to Mac, but which Mac computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2011 - i5 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM
Hi everyone, I am new here! Been searching around for information regarding Mac's computer for some time and got quite a lot of knowledge from this forum itself through Googling. Thus giving the idea that there will be a lot of Mac experts here.

Here's a little background of myself:

I am a Windows user for more than 10 years. Never touched a Mac before but seen the OS from Apple Stores and YouTube. Was not worry of not able to adapt (the UI is pretty decent!) but the thing is, I wanted to use a Mac to develop iOS application for iPhone and iPad (and I also develop Websites, which is not bind to OS). The application size I reckon will be quite huge.

Basically I have come down to two machines that I wanted:
1.) Mac Mini (2011) basic model -> which can be modded to have 2 SSDs / 2 HDDs / 8GB RAM easily + it is way cheaper (and I have a cheapo LCD screen).
2.) MacBook Pro (late 2011) 13" basic model -> due to budget constraint I can't go for 15" Core i7.

Currently I owned a pretty decent Windows laptop (Dell XPS) and it was just purchased recently. So it seems quite reckless to buy a MBP.

The dilemma, is that I am torn between these two machines and that XPS. As per the Apple store sales guy, they say it pretty much comes to the question of portability. MBP you can move it around, MM you can't. If you are developing iOS App, do you move around much? If yes take MBP if not MM or iMac.

Should I take MBP or MM or any other Mac computer based on the scenario above? Though I really like MBP, I just seems to can't find the justification to buy one. Also I have been wondering will Mac be able to be a primary computer of mine. Please help me...:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You have pretty much answered your own question really. You don't need the portability (and to be honest the MM isn't exactly a huge thing to move either, it could be portable), and for the extra money you'd spend on the MBP, you could even buy a bettter screen for the MM.
It will certainly cope with anything you are likely to use it for IMO.

C

chas_m

Personally, for development I'd suggest an iMac (just to throw a spanner in the works). For just a few hundred more than the Mac mini, you get a far more powerful machine, an LED backlit LCD screen (gorgeous), and more RAM expandability (not to mention a full-sized hard drive).

Unless you like developing at a coffee shop, I don't see much reason to have a portable.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have pretty much answered your own question really. You don't need the portability (and to be honest the MM isn't exactly a huge thing to move either, it could be portable), and for the extra money you'd spend on the MBP, you could even buy a bettter screen for the MM.
It will certainly cope with anything you are likely to use it for IMO.

I have ordered the Mac Mini. :D

And I don't think productivity is good at a coffee shop, so that makes Mac Mini sounds just fine. iMac is really interesting, but the price is over my budget.

Thanks a lot to both of you, Kevriano and chas_m!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I agree if looking for a first Mac and a desktop is an option go with an IMac. I did and very glad I chose that over the IMac mini which is very mini compared to a stock IMac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Talking about monitor, however, I have encountered another issue. :(

My Dell XPS has a mini DisplayPort, thus I bought one generic mDP to VGA adapter and plug it with my Samsung 19 inch LCD monitor and this monitor only supports VGA. And gosh, it doesn't work. XPS cannot detect the best possible resolution (which is 1366 x 768) for the 19 inch LCD monitor and instead display using 1026 x 726 causing every characters to look elongated.

Would Mac Mini be picky of the monitor used? The ordered Mac Mini is coming, I might still have time to cancel the order burning the deposit and head to MBP.. :'( Please help! Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
You shouldn't have any problem with the resolution recognition on the Mac. I've plugged my MBP into numerous other monitors and have never had a problem with that.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well..the thing that I dreaded about the monitor turned out to be true. Mac Mini can't display at 1366 x 768. The best fit I can find for now is 1280 x 768 thus leaving two black stripes on the monitor. There's nothing to be done I think. Time for a monitor change..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mini is a good choice if you already have a compatible monitor and keyboard - mouse. But when you start adding a nice monitor, keyboard, mouse, whatever, you may wind up spending almost as much as an entry level iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
Well..the thing that I dreaded about the monitor turned out to be true. Mac Mini can't display at 1366 x 768. The best fit I can find for now is 1280 x 768 thus leaving two black stripes on the monitor. There's nothing to be done I think. Time for a monitor change..

Try 1024 x 768 (stretched) that should be a choice under your display preferences in settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try 1024 x 768 (stretched) that should be a choice under your display preferences in settings.

Stretched? *gag* I don't get people who like distorted displays. And yes… that includes stretching 4:3 formatted videos on a widescreen TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I like my resolution it is at 1280x720. I tried the stretched look and did not like it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.