G3 imac cdrom (Mac newbie)

L

lotas

Good morning. i just got my first mac, a G3 333 iMac running OS 8.6, and the cdrom drive in it is dead. im just trying to find out what type is it? i heard its one out of a Powerbook, but which one? i have also heard that a USB cdrom drive will work, but will it boot from CD? im getting extra memory and installing Panther soon, but need to boot from CD for this to work. i had an idea of taking the cdrom drive out, changing the hard drive cable to have 2 connectors off it and then putting a power splitter so i can put in a normal cdrom drive in. anyone tried this? would the mac support 2 IDE devices like this?
Thanks in advance.

OP
Z

zarknl

I have the same mac, it is a matsushita CR-175-D ATAPI IDE laptop type drive.

Other laptop drives will probably work too if they have the same interface and size.

Good luck,

Zarknl.

lotas said:
Good morning. i just got my first mac, a G3 333 iMac running OS 8.6, and the cdrom drive in it is dead. im just trying to find out what type is it? i heard its one out of a Powerbook, but which one? i have also heard that a USB cdrom drive will work, but will it boot from CD? im getting extra memory and installing Panther soon, but need to boot from CD for this to work. i had an idea of taking the cdrom drive out, changing the hard drive cable to have 2 connectors off it and then putting a power splitter so i can put in a normal cdrom drive in. anyone tried this? would the mac support 2 IDE devices like this?
Thanks in advance.

OP
L

lotas

thanks for the info, but i just found out a major hack on the imac. read this (http://blog.lotas-smartman.net/archives/001120.php#001120) blog post. basicly im taking the hard drive out, putting in a different ide cable (with 3 connectors, not 2 (board and hdd in case you think im miscounting)) and splitting the power. so i can then have a standard ide drive mounted (probably) outside the case. this is a kind of messy way of doing it, but in theory it should work. i have seen others do this, and i cant see why not!
Thanks for the info about what type it is though. the closet i found to it will cost me about 300 euro so im guessing this is my best option.

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

Another thing you should consider is upgrading your RAM.
I know I'm not one to talk with just 128Mb at the moment, but I don't think Panther will like 32Mb although I'm no expert can anyone back me up on this?

OP
L

lotas

its actually got 288mb ram now. upgraded a while back. getting an other 256mb dimm. tried it in both slots so no problem in it taking it. so ill max it out at 512 pretty cool.

OP
I

imstillatwork

how should the drives be jumpered to do this? cable select does not work, master slave does not seem to work either... anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.