Copying disk to drive

Reaction score
I have a homemade DVD that I would like to put on an external hard drive, but cannot find out how to do this. I have discovered how to Burn a disk from the drive, but not the opposite. Can you help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Good question what machine and operating system are you running? They may need to know that to help you out :)

OP
P
Reaction score
There is no "NEW" under my FILE menu. There is New Window and New Tab, taking you to the web browser. Also New Smart Folder and New Burn Folder....but no just "New" on the list.

I have a DVD that I want to put on an External HardDrive that is connected USB to my iMac.

What to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You'll find Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK....I have found Disk Utility in the Applications folder, but there is no FILE>NEW selection there. The available toolbar selections are VERIFY, BURN, NEW IMAGE and CONVERT.

This seems to be a long way around to just copy a DVD onto a hard drive. iMAC is usually simple.

Sorry to be so difficult, but I have several of these DVDs that I am trying to copy to the external hard drive and I really need to learn how to do this.

Thank you for your help.

Oh...you asked what is next to the Apple....it is FINDER.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
As was stated above, you are NOT in Disk Utility, You are in Finder.

Cheers ... McBie

Screen Shot 2011-12-19 at 12.34.30.png

OP
P
Reaction score
OK....I found FILE>NEW>DISK IMAGE TO FOLDER. I waited for it to copy the DVD disk. Now I want to put it on the external hard drive and I get information about repairing the disk. I don't see how to get it copied onto the hard drive.

C

chas_m

Two things:

1. Where did you save the Disk Image you created? Wherever that was, find it and then just drag the image file to the external hard drive.

2. You don't seem to be very familiar with the way the Mac works at all. I'd suggest you take some time and visit Mac 101 and Switch 101 which will likely reduce your confusion.

OP
P
Reaction score
You're right.....I am a 69 year old American woman who has moved to Panama, Central America in retirement. I just got the iMac and there is no support or instruction down here for anything, let alone a Mac. At my age, and down here in the 3rd world, I'm just trying to keep up. Thanks for the sites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.