PDA

View Full Version : Powerbooks

nutz46
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I am looking into buy a new Powerbook soon. Are there any rumored major upgrades that I should wait for? Processors, Screens, etc.

I am guessing that they will release something new after the holidays... that usually happens for me. I buy a brand new product in December and the second week of January it is upgraded and I get screwed with the older product.

dmachine
11-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Im not sure if your aware of this but they just upgraded the PowerBooks a few weeks ago.

menace3054
11-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Im not sure if your aware of this but they just upgraded the PowerBooks a few weeks ago.

and if i had to bet, its most likely the last upgrade until the intel ones..

nutz46
11-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Have there been any clues as to when they will release the Intel Powerbooks?

Benjamindaines
11-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Some time around June.

justinpfarrell
11-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Get one of the current ones. It is most likely that the 1st generation Powerbooks from intel and apple will have plenty of bugs. Most 1st gen products always do. Get one that has been perfected over the years. It wont give you any problems, and is a sexy beast!

inflexion
11-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Get one of the current ones. It is most likely that the 1st generation Powerbooks from intel and apple will have plenty of bugs. Most 1st gen products always do. Get one that has been perfected over the years. It wont give you any problems, and is a sexy beast!

Wise words right there, even apple makes mistakes *shock horror*

hojkoff_101
11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
and is a sexy beast!

HA HA!!!! Right on! You should def get one of the current PowerBooks I ordered on the day that the new ones came out and it's still not come!!!!! :mad:

Yeah I agree with everyone the 1st Gen product is never great. I think that we'll be waiting for a while yet to see a good reliable Intel model.

sursuciofla
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
The lines before the transition will more than likely be better than the Intel lines that come out. Like it was pointed out, the 1st of anything comes laddened with plenty of bugs. I will be buying the "older" version of whatever I get as soon as the Intel's do come out.

Meyvn
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Some time around June.

Actually, that was for the first MacTel MACHINES. No one said anything about them being PBs, and most people have said it will probably be the consumer boxes that switch first.

solarith
11-04-2005, 12:48 PM

I agree. I just bought one of the new PB 15' and it is the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

Oh, and it's fast too :)

mdavis71
11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Anyone know if they will ever be putting a pcmcia slot on the 12" powerbooks?? i want to get one but that means i will still have to keep around my 15" for the slot so that i can use verizon's high speed internet i use from time to time.

Benjamindaines
11-13-2005, 08:41 PM
They will probably never put PCMCIA slots on the 12" Powerbook, its just too cramped in there already to fit it.

DCraver
11-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Actually, that was for the first MacTel MACHINES. No one said anything about them being PBs, and most people have said it will probably be the consumer boxes that switch first.

I thought the whole reason of switching to Intel was becuase of the fact that they couldn't make G5's small enough and people wanted/needed more power from their laptops and Intel makes a good small laptop processor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

mdavis71
11-13-2005, 10:23 PM
not sure why there switching, but they should.. i know of a sony 10" with pcmcia slot in it, and if apple can't get it in a 12" theres something wrong major.

Benjamindaines
11-13-2005, 10:32 PM
The logic boards for Intel are sooo much smaller

Insides of a PowerMac G5 (http://www.ophiuchus.org/photos/G5/112-1240_IMG.jpg)

Intel PowerMac logic board (http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/inteldevmac/1.jpg)

menace3054
11-14-2005, 01:13 AM
The logic boards for Intel are sooo much smaller

Insides of a PowerMac G5 (http://www.ophiuchus.org/photos/G5/112-1240_IMG.jpg)

Intel PowerMac logic board (http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/inteldevmac/1.jpg)

the g5 one is so much prettier... :( boo intel

lil
11-14-2005, 06:45 AM
A mobile G5 CPU now exists in 1.2-1.6GHz forms.

However I did hear something that it performs *slower* than the G4 at equivalent speeds ie: 1.2GHz G5 vs. 1.2GHz G4.

Cannot verify that but yes - the lack of mobile roadmap for the PowerPC series was one big deciding factor I am sure.

Vicky

lil
11-14-2005, 06:46 AM
not sure why there switching, but they should.. i know of a sony 10" with pcmcia slot in it, and if apple can't get it in a 12" theres something wrong major.

You have seen the inside of the 12" PowerBook, right?

Vicky

Meyvn
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I thought the whole reason of switching to Intel was becuase of the fact that they couldn't make G5's small enough and people wanted/needed more power from their laptops and Intel makes a good small laptop processor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're absolutely right, but all predictions thus far have pointed to iBooks and Mac minis switching first.

Meyvn
11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
A mobile G5 CPU now exists in 1.2-1.6GHz forms.

However I did hear something that it performs *slower* than the G4 at equivalent speeds ie: 1.2GHz G5 vs. 1.2GHz G4.

Plus it probably runs hot as a ***** in heat. PBs are running at high enough temps as it is.

lil
11-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Apparently not in fact, apparently they run as hot as the comparable Freescale 7448s.

There was an article a while back commenting on the apparent strength of the PPC emerging and its relation to the big switch as it were...

Not saying that I agree with it of course. However I do not know enough about the mobile G5 chips to say how they perform, but the power consumption stats aren't that bad either...

Vicky

muchisgiven2u
11-15-2005, 12:29 AM
I have a question, I'm sure this was asked before, but I wanted to know...Will the new powerbooks be prone to get viruses, since apple has switched over to intel processors?

If so then boo? One of the things that I love so much about my mac is that I don't have to use any spyware or worry too much about viruses infecting my hard drive...

menace3054
11-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I have a question, I'm sure this was asked before, but I wanted to know...Will the new powerbooks be prone to get viruses, since apple has switched over to intel processors?

If so then boo? One of the things that I love so much about my mac is that I don't have to use any spyware or worry too much about viruses infecting my hard drive...

it has nothing to do with the hardware, the reason mac is not prone to viruses is because of the software, the operating system.

Meyvn
11-15-2005, 01:12 AM
The switch to Intel may INDIRECTLY affect the possibility of viruses being created because of more users getting into OS X since they might be able to 'dual boot,' but the processor has nothing to do with it DIRECTLY.

trix213
11-19-2005, 11:19 PM
so get the recent powerbook right? cuz im looking at a 12' PB. and i sure as **** aint getting laptop again im out of uni. This is gonna be several months' paycheque.

oh btw, does anybody know if prices go down during christmas time?