Can't get Rail Roads page to work, says I need Windows 5

Reaction score
Husband recently got a new job with Rail Road. Have to be able to log onto their website at home. HAVING PROBLEMS!!!!

Says the requirements are Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac OS Internet

Explorer 5 for Macintosh

Documentation for users:
To start Internet Explorer for Classic MacOS, please perform the following:

1. Open your Macintosh HD (or whatever your hard drive is named now)
2. Open the folder Applications (Mac OS 9)
3. Open the folder "Internet Explorer 5" from within the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder.
4. Launch Internet Explorer from within the "Internet Explorer 5" folder.

I HAVE DONE ALL THIS, I start the program at BNSF and it's not loading!

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
I wasn't more exact about it won't load, it will load the BNSF page but when he puts in his user name and password it won't get him logged in. I know it's not the user name/password problem as we have a brother in law that has worked there for 15 years and he tried to log in on his account and can not either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about providing us with the year, model of your Mac and which operating system it's currently running? Also include the URL of the BNSF page.

MS Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer supported or being developed by Microsoft. I'm sure there must be another way to access the home page of your husband's new job other than MS IE 5?

Reaction score
If you are running Mac OS9, you are probably running it on a PowerPC-based Mac. Those older machines will not be able to run Windows programs via Boot Camp or a virtual machine. As chscag noted, IE5 for Mac is no longer supported and there's probably an incompatibility with his company's current IE-based remote access system and the last version of IE5 that's out there (probably based on security or encryption changes).

You might well have to buy a used Windows machine (you can get used laptops or netbooks very cheaply) - if all you need it for is just to log in via IE, you don't need much in terms of graphics or processing power. That may wind up being what you have to do. That will likely be much cheaper than buying a newer, used Mac and a copy of Windows just to run IE.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Grab the trial version of Crossover. Should be able to install and run the Windows version of IE there. MS quit working on IE 5 for Mac back in '03.

Use the trial to make sure it works before you purchase it. Probably cheapest way if that's the only thing you need windows for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To baldwinbulldog:

I just accessed the BNSF on line page with Chrome from my iMac running Lion 10.7.2. It even allowed me to get into the emulator. The only thing I needed to run it was a userid and password.

Your husband should have no problem running the BNSF emulator with Safari from your MacBook. Just make sure he has the correct userid and password which should have been issued him by BNSF.

Have him give it a go. If that does not work, go ahead and try what bobtomay suggested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.