FireFox will not load..

Reaction score
Some web pages did not load correctly. (on Imac). Deleted Firefox and moved Profile to another drive to backup. Downloaded new Firefox. When I try to install, I keep getting this message-"A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time." I went in and searched for all occurrences of Firefox or Mozilla and deleted.
It will still not load.

I cannot get Firefox to run now. I backed up my Profile to another drive. Cannot create a new one as Firefox will not run. It says there is another copy running. However, I have deleted all Firefox and Mozilla files and downloaded new. When I try to run it, I get the message to close Firefox as two cannot run at once.
I did create a new Mac account logon and can run Firefox there, so something in the other account is showing Firefox is running.
I also checked in ACTIVITY MONITOR and in SETUP and there is no Firefox or Mozilla running.
So, where can this bug be hiding????

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This error simply means that another process is running in the background. Try this:

1. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
2. Enter the following and press enter:
Code:
killall firefox
3. Try opening it again.

OP
D
Reaction score
Firefox not loading

Thank you.

It seems that after doing a Safe Boot, Loading Firefox there, and then reboot normal, that it is working.

Not sure what it did.

I also Repaired Disk Permissions. Not sure if that helped or not.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rebooting will definitely kill all the processes so that would work in fixing your FF problem. Glad to hear that it's solved.

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually, rebooting did nothing. Many times. Turned off many times... nothing. Only when SAFE BOOT was done did I get results.

Something in the "normal" boot was screwy. wish I knew what it was.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would lead me to believe that a Firefox process was somehow being loaded in the background. As to why that's the case - your guess is as good as mine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Love a mystery...NOT...

You would think it would show in STARTUP or Activity Monitor, but it didn't....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.