Help! Duplicate Application icon/alias

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive just taken over use of mac that had a strange blue applications icon/alias in the "PLACES" list where the regular icon usually is. I removed it and got it to the desktop and the regular apps icon is now in place. BUT I dont want to delete the weird blue one as it seems to have the full list of apps in it. When I compare to the apps folder in the route directory it seems to have all the same files and folders - but any changes i make to either apps folder reflect in the other apps folder (hope this makes sense) WHICH ONE DO I DELETE?

Thanks in advance.

OP
J
Reaction score
solved

I realised it is only an alias - was only a few kbs in size... it would ask me for authentication when i tried to delete any files from inside (as this was relating back to the root directory) but when i deleted the alias itself there was no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can tell an alias from the "real thing" by the little curved arrow at the bottom of the icon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.