• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie to iDVD problems, need help fast.

Reaction score
I have a 104 minute home movie on iMovie documenting my family over the past year. We do this every year for our parents and grandparents for Christmas. It's plays great on iMovie, exports fine to iDVD, although with the length I have to change the quality to Professional. But when burning the DVD the audio is all screwed up. Lot's of overdubbing. Like the audio from a different part of the video will overdub the audio on other parts of the movie. The video is fine. I do have lot's of music and iMovie effects, but I've never had this problem before. But this is the longest movie I've made thus far.

Problem is, I need to have this burnt on DVD by Friday. I've started remaking the movie, but with all the crops, music and effects this is becoming a tedious task. Anyway to fix the old movie. I'm not very Apple savvy so I'll need help in laymen's terms. Thanks so much.

~Billy

btw- I have a 3 year old iMac with OS X 10.5.8, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 2.66 processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Does it play OK in iDVD? Try saving it from iDVD as a Disc Image. That will play in DVD Player. Is it OK there? If so you can burn the image to a DVD using Disk Utility.

OP
W
Reaction score
No, as soon as I view it in iDVD the random audio over dubbing' begins about 3 minutes into the video. Tried uploading it to iTunes and viewing it there, but the same audio overdubs in the exact same places. Makes me thing something is going on in iMovie. Could running a superseded operating system contribute to iMovie issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Sounds like it's something happening in the sharing from iMovie to iDVD. Try Share>Export Movie,(which will take a long time) which will produce a movie file. If that plays OK, you can then just drag and drop it into an iDVD Project window.

OP
W
Reaction score
Will this cause it to become a quicktime movie? I did this, I can only find the movie in iDVD, iMovie and in Quicktime. The movie in Quicktime still has the exact some errors as the video in iDVD. I have the new Snow Leopard coming in the mail and I may get iMovie 11. Maybe an updated operating system will help? I'm running iMovie 09 with O SX 10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will this cause it to become a quicktime movie?
If you go via Export Movie, it exports as an mpeg4 movie(.m4v). For a Quicktime(.mov) movie, use Export to Quicktime.

The movie in Quicktime still has the exact some errors as the video in iDVD.
Sorry can't think of anything else apart from re-doing he whole project again in iMovie.

iMovie11 may help. It's a big improvement on iMovie9 with far better control of audio editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.