• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lost/stolen iphone 4s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, ipad, ipod, iphone 4 black 32gb and 4s white 16gb, macbook air and apple tv
I am missing my brand new 4s :( I have managed to 'find my phone' to a location. I went to the address and was told that someone did have it, but they will not give it back and the police are not helping at the moment. The phone is now switched off so can not ve located. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to track the phone if it gets plugged in to a computer to be jail broken. Or any other ideas on what I can do to get my phone back. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why did the police not help? Apple's tracking system was built hand-in-hand with the help and aid of police departments, and Apple has gained the right for their system to work for police officers, and for that evidence to count as "enough credible evidence" to do a search and seizure. I would be really mad! I would also camp out at their house if I knew they had it. I wouldn't stop knocking on their door. That's ridiculous for them to admit they had it, and not give it back.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, ipad, ipod, iphone 4 black 32gb and 4s white 16gb, macbook air and apple tv
Thanks for your reply iggibar, the police have been involved now, what I was hoping for was to find out if there is a way to trace the phone through the imei/meid code when or if someone connects the phone to a computer to either jailbreak or reset the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
There is a way to trace it via the IMEI but I doubt your local police force would have the necessary equipment - they'd have to call in someone "higher", if you catch my drift. If the police were any good though, they'd go round there and search/detain till they found it. Well that's what I'd expect. Do you have insurance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If you still have the iPhone4S box, you should take it in to ATT and Apple and let them know what's going on. It's worth a try to see what they could do. The iPhone box has all the number you would need to associate with your account and iPhone, and anyone who tries to enroll that iPhone into their plan will have to use the IMEI/MEID number, there has to be a way to track that.

I applaud you in your quick attempt to track it down via iCloud though. Some people get the iPhone just to say they got the iPhone and when someone steals their phone, and I tell them they can track it down and show the police the location, they just freeze up like deer in headlights. I know of 2 people that this happened to in just the past few weeks. People buy stuff without actually knowing what it is capable of doing.
Alright, enough of my rant. iggi out!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if you bought it from your network (like, if it was an upgrade or something) you can get the phone blocked by reporting it. if you know the IMEI, report to the Police/network provider and get it blocked. this makes it harder for criminals to sell their phone on, which is probably their main goal in stealing it in the first place. It will also flag up on Checkmend (a site for monitoring stolen electronic goods.)

I would be really mad! I would also camp out at their house if I knew they had it. I wouldn't stop knocking on their door.

probably the worst thing you could do in this situation. You dont know what kind of people took the phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.