• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PowerBook 17" came in today :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Been working on the PowerBook the majority of the day, even though this is finals week. Took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. I could tell this was used by a woman because there were long pieces of hair...or could be a man I guess.

I guess I should start by saying that this is the top-of-the-line 17" PowerBook that was released by Apple...which is why I didn't want to let it go. The listing was for a 17" 1.67GHz model with 512mb ram, but this came with 1gb ram. The listing also mentioned that the battery would die as soon as you unplugged it. Wow was this wrong! I've been running it off the battery for about 45(running safari and listening to iTunes) minutes and it still shows 1:45 left on the battery. I didn't care if the battery was dead because it was going to stay plugged permanently, but this is just another plus! The only noticeable problem with this powerbook is located around where the left thumb lies below the space bar. The area has worn a small part of the painted keyboard bar(the painted steel bar, not the aluminum). It's a problem I could care less about. Thanks to a deal worked out with Bobtomay earlier for OSX Leopard, I installed a fresh copy of OSX.5.8, iLife08, and iWorks, loaded it with music, and some photos, and is running real well.

I am comparing this purchase with that of yesterday, which was for a 15" Asus Core i5 with 4gb of ram for my cousin. That computer was $490 after tax, and this powerbook was $380 after shipping. The Asus was nice and all, but if I had to choose a computer for myself, it would be the powerbook over anything similar to the asus. The i5 is definitely faster, but the crap in windows makes it hardly noticeable considering the processors offer.

I am consistently being surprised by old Macs performing well with even newer operating systems. The only problem noticeable on this powerbook is the lag on youtube. Haven't noticed anything else.

Though this PowerBook was bought for my dad, I'm going to have a hard time giving it to him. The PowerBook and 1st gen Macbook Pro's design are what got me really interested in Apple's laptops, and I still think to this day that these are amongst the most beautiful looking laptops ever made. I'm glad we now own one:) I hope we get to use this for as long as possible.

PS: I finally finished this post, and the battery still has 1:30 left. Nice!
I'll post some pics later when I get them up.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
A friend of mine who had a 17 in PowerBook, let me borrow his for a few days. That was the final straw that pushed me over the edge to buying my first Mac.

Very nice!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here are some pics:

To start off, here's the old HP that was taken apart and salvaged, and the new Asus on the right.
20111213-p1nt6shegqfhh59e285k8h2qqa.jpg

This is the the power left on the battery. Look at the time on the PowerBook and compare it to my first post:
20111213-efmyqx8geennm7jy8a9nquwdwh.jpg

This is the wear below the space bar. It was a bit smaller than this to start, but I removed some dirty edges off it. It's only this noticeable when the flash is a few inches above it, otherwise, it's not that big of a problem:
20111213-8ifsn4bim7d7sj3fgtinets1ip.jpg

Above shot of it:
20111213-pj1x2qth5kauw67t7jwkb8wk13.jpg

These are pretty self-explanatory:
20111213-8g1tp7diafkbedurmaw8d8qbsw.jpg

20111213-nusp79wq794f1aaqdpsgu9yur4.jpg

Makes my 15" look like a 13" next to it:(
20111213-eq6h3ixhi6y5cmy431i2mbc1ka.jpg

20111213-tsphftmigth3gdmxudk425aj35.jpg

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I couldn't leave out my G5! HDR made it a bit too red.
20111213-qrrn2sjkaej454cfp545w28e57.jpg

20111213-p9bmfuptyt4dugdr1ct3si9hgp.jpg

My favorite shot. Looked better in person:
20111213-ba5r8dsh9qu5bjubu6b69h5rqh.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I like the photo of your computer work area. Very clean & tidy!:)

Thanks for the photos!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
My desk is kind of like that but i have 3 ibook g4's, a macbook pro, and soon i am going to have an iMac 20 inch connected to my 32 tv.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My desk is kind of like that but i have 3 ibook g4's, a macbook pro, and soon i am going to have an iMac 20 inch connected to my 32 tv.

Ahh...I won't believe it unless I see it (photos)...and no...I'm not from Missouri!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.