New Logic Express user....

Reaction score
Hi, I just downloaded Logic Express and just can't get any sounds out of it..

I am new to my MacG5 and need some help with configuring it to play my midi files from the older Micrologic Fun program (and I don't want to tell you how long it took me to get sounds from that program, albeit without any formum help).

Thanks in advance... :p

S

steveedge

Try this

You left out a lot of info. that would be helpful to know before trying to answer your question, but I'll give it a shot. Since you didn't mention having an audio interface I assume you are playing your files through the built in Apple sound manager.
In Logic Express under the Audio Menu Tab choose "Audio Hardware & Drivers. You should get a pop up preference window, Click on the "drivers" tab and make sure Built- In Audio is selected.
You can get to this same window by opening preferences and clicking on drivers.
Note: If you are using some sort of audio USB or Firewire device, the driver for it should show up here as well and you would choose that instead of Built- In Audio. But since you didn't mention one....I assume you are not using one.

Next, Open your Track Mixer from the Windows Menu and since you are trying to play midi files, click the midi tab to show the midi tracks. Now change the setting of your activated tracks to "midi" instead of off in the channel strip. You also must choose some instrument to play the midi file in the arrange window.
Good luck. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
I was so optimistic that it would work but was dissapointed when it didn't.

I realise I'm not providing enough info but that's only because I don't know what to provide.

I have a midi file made using Micrologic Fun 4 and I just want to play it in Logic Express.

I made all the changes but no luck!

I then persevered and struck paydirt!

I went to Windows>Environment and with the aid of the help file I was able to create the Quicktime Synth and add a new internal and it all is working fine now!

Just look at my terminology! Who would ever think I was a thicky! DON'T ANSWER!

Would you believe prior to my having an internet connection and trying to play the demo song in Micrologic Fun4 and only hearing one out of five instruments playing & not being able to figure out how to enable all the tracks for about a year, then all of a sudden I unlocked it and went on to learn nearly all I needed to know.

OP
N
Reaction score
OK.....everything was fine when I figured out how to play a midi file.

But when I tried to create a new project and followed the above instructions I couldn't get any sounds from the program at all....???

I'm sorry but this is all the info I'm able to provide, I opened up the editor with the piano keys down the left side and ran the arrow down the keys and there was silence.

OP
N
Reaction score
OK...forget that last post...I just got sound and am happy that it hasn't taken me a year to figure it all out cos there's only 27 days left in the trial version! :D

Thanks for your help steveedge, you're a legend!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.