• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro X continually crashes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro with 2.8GHz Quad Xeon
Hi - it's been a while since I was on this forum and I'm really hoping someone out there can help with my issue. Until last night, I had been working away happily with FCPX on my Quad Xeon Mac Pro, when this happened, as far as I remember:

I was coming to the end of a long (and successful) editing session and I came to close down the program. I noticed a warning box which said 'Can't shut down as background tasks are running', or words to that effect. So I left it for a while and then noticed that it had become 'stuck' at about 94% of its task. So I waited a while longer until I was sure that it had hung up, at which time I forced my computer to shut down. When I restarted and tried to load FCPX again, it immediately crashed giving me a large error log message. I vaguely remember that the software update dialogue box was open before I shut down, but I am not sure of this.

OK, I have backups on Time Machine, so I'm not concerned about having lost any work. However, I have tried uninstalling FCPX and reinstalling it, but I still get the same result: the program immediately crashes after it has launched. Do I need to perhaps remove other files as well as uninstalling the main app, do you think? Any ideas, guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Lion
I occasionally have the problem of FCPX crashing on startup.
Firstly, try starting Compressor first.
If this doesn't work, try trashing the FCPX .plist preferences file. This will mean many of your settings will have to be reset.
Good luck!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro with 2.8GHz Quad Xeon
I downloader Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion and it did the job perfectly (and for free!). Highly recommended for deleting hidden files - solved my problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.