• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Kodak Playsport file question

Reaction score
I recorded a single event (about an hour) on my Kodak Playsport in 1080p mode. When I plug the camera directly to my TV to watch the video, it appears as a single file. But when plug the camera into my MBP (or just insert the SD card into my MBP) it sees that same video as two .MOV files. Can't figure out why the camera "divided" what was a single recording into two separate files?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you pause the recording at any point? I know my Flip will split the files each time you pause the recording session.

OP
A
Reaction score
Did not pause recording. I got an answer on another forum that makes perfect sense if anyone else is interested. The SD card is formatted in FAT32, which has a maximum file size of 4GB. (My files split into 3.94GB and 1.27GB). So now I just need to see if the camera will recognize a card formatted in something else - will try NTFS, I suppose.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did not pause recording. I got an answer on another forum that makes perfect sense if anyone else is interested. The SD card is formatted in FAT32, which has a maximum file size of 4GB. (My files split into 3.94GB and 1.27GB). So now I just need to see if the camera will recognize a card formatted in something else - will try NTFS, I suppose.

Ah yes, that does make sense! 4GB is indeed the maximum file size for FAT32. Can the camera actually recognize the NTFS filesystem? That would be extremely interesting as it's not ubiquitous like FAT32.

Keep in mind that natively, your Mac can't write to NTFS - not sure how important that is when you're just consuming the files that already exist on the camera, but something to keep in mind - especially if you ever try to delete some footage from the Mac.

Now, you can get a third party driver that can help with this, but just something to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing your solution!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.