Need advice for Portable Mac Solution

T

tempop

I am looking to switch from my current windows platform laptop.

My current specs are an Intel centrino based laptop with Pentium M 1.6, 1.25Gb RAM, 14inch wide screen 1280x768, and all the other stuff doesn’t really matter.

The sole purpose of this computer is for advertising, art direction, and graphic design. I use most of the Adobe CS2 creative suite and some of the Macromedia tool kit. I am not performing any crazy rendering or filtering. Just pretty high resolution, multiple layer, large files.

My question is Ibook vs. Powerbook: Considering ONLY performance (not screen rez, ports, monitor output, ect.) with 1.5gb of memory, will there be a noticeable difference between two when performing tasks as stated above?

If so, how much? is it worth and extra $500?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
i would go for a powerbook since it has just been upgraded.
you will have a better gfx card than the ibook and this will be better for your design jobs. Since you are much into graphic design, the p.book is more suited to your needs. In the future, the p.book will still be a great machine for you to work on.

But if money is a matter, then go for an ibook. It'll still deliver a good job.

OP
J

jn4jenny

tempop said:
The sole purpose of this computer is for advertising, art direction, and graphic design. I use most of the Adobe CS2 creative suite and some of the Macromedia tool kit. I am not performing any crazy rendering or filtering. Just pretty high resolution, multiple layer, large files.

My question is Ibook vs. Powerbook: Considering ONLY performance (not screen rez, ports, monitor output, ect.) with 1.5gb of memory, will there be a noticeable difference between two when performing tasks as stated above?

Yes, yes, yes. The Powerbook is designed for hardcore graphics work; the iBook is more of an everyman's machine designed for office applications, web surfing, and e-mail.

If you can't quite stomach the price of the current Powerbooks, look into the Apple Refurbished deals, which can be up to $500 cheaper than the current Powerbooks yet have specs that are nearly as good. Just click on that big red tag on the Apple Store screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
an iBook with 1.25Gb of ram will still do what you need it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i think the only choice here is the powerbook, and i think in the long run you will be happier with a powerbook, as they have just been updated and you wouldn't want to buy an ibook and a little while later they come out with a new one...

OP
T

tempop

thanks for the replies. Let me clear up a few things.

I know the intelmacs are coming and I have full intentions of jumping on that bandwagon if they are as good as most are being led to believe.

So what I am really looking for is something to get me by for a year or so. I am not really looking long term.

Will an ibook with 1.25gb of ram feel at least equivalent to the pc I am using now? (specs listed above.)

Thanks again.

OP
S

sursuciofla

I use an ibook for the same stuff as well as vid edit software and I make it just fine. Yes an ibook will be just fine. Is this for classes or are you a full-time designer? I didn't worry since I have access to a G5 pretty much anytime I need it. I mainly use the ibook though so I can vouch for it in this case. I have used a Powerbook from time to time and the difference isn't as big as some make it out to be. You really see the difference in the G5s though.

OP
J

jn4jenny

tempop said:
thanks for the replies. Let me clear up a few things.

I know the intelmacs are coming and I have full intentions of jumping on that bandwagon if they are as good as most are being led to believe.

So what I am really looking for is something to get me by for a year or so. I am not really looking long term.

Will an ibook with 1.25gb of ram feel at least equivalent to the pc I am using now? (specs listed above.)

Thanks again.

Ah, well now you're in shadier territory. Since you're not coming from the world's most amazing PC and it's only for a year, iBook would probably be just fine. If you do get the iBook and have every intention of reselling, I strongly suggest that you purchase AppleCare with it--not really for yourself, because iBooks rarely break in the first year. Buy it for resale value: AppleCare can be easily transferred to the new owner, and it's a lot easier to sell a used iBook at a high price if it comes with AppleCare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.