• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Samsung Smart TV Codec

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
For the last 14 years I have had Windows 95 all the way through 7. A couple of months ago I gave in to peer (gf) pressure and bought a MacBook Air.
Problems like these I usually find somewhere in an old thread but by now I am just tired of searching and trying out all the converters Google can come up with (they all look look pretty much the same).
So now.. You I ask.
Is there a simple drag and drop app to convert all kinds of video and audio files so I can see/listen to them on my fancy Smart TV and surround. I am not bothered if I need to copy the films to an external hard drive and plug it into my TV or stream them from my network drive, as long as I don't have to plug my Mac into the TV or stream directly with the likes of Vuze.

Cheers!
Magnus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I think the Samsung smart TV's use DLNA to link between computer and TV. Windows allows the sending of such content through Windows Media Player. iTunes does not have that functionality built in. However there are plenty of media servers for Mac. TwonkyMedia is a great place to start. Should enable you to play any video from your computer to you TV as long as that video file is supported by the TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.