AHHHH! I think I broke it

Reaction score
I just updated my power mac g5 with OSX 10.4.3 from 10.4.2 And then my computer asked to restart and I clicked yes, but then it said finder caused the restart to stop so I clicked ok and then tried to manually do it. BUt nothing was responding so I had to hold down the power button to turn it off.

Now when I want to turn it on, the grey apple screen comes up with the little grey swirling progress bar and it will go for ever and never boot into OSX. Also the scarier part is my fans begin to spin so loud that it sounds like my computer will explode! Not really, but verry loud.

Please Help Me, I am fairly new to the macworld, can I boot from my tiger CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
just bear with it mate mine took a good 10mins to reboot after that update. Just let it run and go make a drink.

I think that its still up dating at that point hence it taking so long

Reaction score
boarderjosh10 said:
I left it for a lot longer then 10 minutes and it still hangs up

I have seen a couple of messages saying that Spotlight did it's thing when they rebooted. It didn't do it to either of my machines, but it is possible that it might be spotlight indexing your drives... just on the off chance it is, give it a good 20 to 30 minutes, especially if you have large drives and lots of files. If it doesn't boot on up to desktop in that time, then it is probably another problem.

M

Merlinblack

insert your tiger CD and hold the c key (on a keyboard that is attached to your machine ie. not bluetooth) while it is booting up you should come to the install/set-up stuff.

Do an archive and install and it will archive your old files and install a fresh copy of OS X for you. Sounds to me like it blew up during the update and something got changed improperly (not a word?). a re-install and re-update should fix it.

Good luck!

EDIT: not the only solution just one that will work

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Can't offer any real help - but just to let you know I did the same update last nite on my new iMac ...... no issues or problems. Only advice I can give is that when doing an OS patch / up grade ---- it best to be very patient on the re-boot phase - sometimes lots of stuff going on - and if something is confused ---- you may need to wait several minutes for system timers to time-out

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
just somethign that i do: when i update i make sure that absolutely no programs are runing, and then i do the update. this eliminates the computer from having to shut down programs and deal with other crap while updating and restarting...

as a note: todays update, on my restart, told me that there was a bunch a crap goin on with dashboard on my restart and gave me some message that i ignored and hit ok....everythign was fine after that
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
yes, i noticed it deleted all my widgets that were on the dashboard..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.