To switch or not?

M

MuffinMan

I'm a PC user and I need to upgrade soon. I can upgrade the computer I have, PC, or I can buy a Mac. I'm very interested in the PowerMac 1.8GHZ G5 and 20" Apple screen. I have to decide before Christmas and I don't know which to chose, hearing that the new G5's have some problems but upgrading your PC is going to cost alot anyway. Which should I do?

One other question is, I've seen $14,000 Mac systems on eBay sell for about $1500. Why? Are they scams?

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

i think you'll be very pleased if you decide to go with the G5, and the 20" screen has a really good resolution.while there have been some people reporting problems with their G5 experience, the G5 is still a great computer. i think the reason there are so many people reporting problems, is due to the new technology in the G5, and with new technology, there are gonna be a few problems. but i think the number of problems is really much less than you hear about, because for every one person that reports a problem, there are probably a several hundred that are loving their G5.

could you post the links for these $14k macs? they sound likely to be scams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the item looks to good to be true, and while it still has time left, and probably has a high reserve, i would still be a bit weary about buying it. the seller seems to have good feedback, but from what i saw, the seller only really sells music CDs, so im not sure how trustworthy they would be on such an expensive item.

yes, you can upgrade the processor in Apple computers, but unless you get a good deal on the processor upgrade, in my experience, its usually easier to resell your computer and buy a new one. Apple's are really well at retaining their value for upwards of 5 years.

OP
M

MuffinMan

I think you've helped me make my mind up about buying a mac. I think I'm going to go with the 1.8GHZ G5 and 20" Apple Display. I have several last questions if you could answer them for me. Since I'm buying a Mac and there are lots of options to do with one, is there a program or a really good book that shows you how to use programs such as Mac Excel, Powerpoint or Final Cut? How would a Mac handle programs such as Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne? Where would be the best place to buy a Mac? Also something that remains apparent in my mind is what Bill Gates said, "In about the year 2006 Windows computers will have processors at speeds 4-6 GHZ, 1 Terabyte HD, and over 2 GB Memory along with its new OS. Should I wait for that? It seems Apple computers are already there doesn't it?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
MuffinMan said:
I think you've helped me make my mind up about buying a mac. I think I'm going to go with the 1.8GHZ G5 and 20" Apple Display. I have several last questions if you could answer them for me. Since I'm buying a Mac and there are lots of options to do with one, is there a program or a really good book that shows you how to use programs such as Mac Excel, Powerpoint or Final Cut? How would a Mac handle programs such as Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne? Where would be the best place to buy a Mac? Also something that remains apparent in my mind is what Bill Gates said, "In about the year 2006 Windows computers will have processors at speeds 4-6 GHZ, 1 Terabyte HD, and over 2 GB Memory along with its new OS. Should I wait for that? It seems Apple computers are already there doesn't it?

Thanks for your help!

Bill Gates doesn't make hardware, just software, so I don't think he has a good standing in saying that "his computers" will be that fast. But it's a prediction, one I beleiive as well that.

G5's (the 1.8 and Dual 2) can have up to 8GB of RAM not just 2. In July we'll have a Dual 2.5GHz G5 and a Single 2.0GHz Processor (maybe you should wait for that). So in 2006, just think what Apple will have.

I have the 1.8GHz G5 and WarCraft 3 runs awesome! Would look even crisper and sweeter with an Apple Cinema Display.

sKaD

OP
T

TheMacOS.com

MuffinMan said:
I'm a PC user and I need to upgrade soon. I can upgrade the computer I have, PC, or I can buy a Mac. I'm very interested in the PowerMac 1.8GHZ G5 and 20" Apple screen. I have to decide before Christmas and I don't know which to chose, hearing that the new G5's have some problems but upgrading your PC is going to cost alot anyway. Which should I do?

One other question is, I've seen $14,000 Mac systems on eBay sell for about $1500. Why? Are they scams?

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Ive used macs for 14 years, and ive never seen a $14,000 system.... sounds like a scam to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
TheMacOS.com said:
Ive used macs for 14 years, and ive never seen a $14,000 system.... sounds like a scam to me.

Probably a scam, but it was probably something like having it loaded with RAM, biggest Apple Cinema Display Available, 17 160GB Hard Drives, 6 SuperDrives, blah blah blah

:shrugs:

sKaD

OP
M

MuffinMan

Thanks for your help guys!

AHH! I don't know if I can wait for a Single 2.0 GHZ it's all the way in Summer! :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.