Autocad LT 2007 + Win XP

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just moved from my old Win XP machine to MacBook Pro. The only windows software I need to run is Autocad LT 2007, which runs off XP Home. I still have my XP install CD, so I can install it on Bootcamp. My questions are:

1. Will I need to install antivirus such as Norton 360 on the windows partition to keep it safe?
2. I always save drawings as pdf's so I can mail to non-cad users. Can I save my pdf's on the Mac OS side easily? or do I need to put them on a USB and manually move to the Mac?
3. Are there any known performance issues running windows on bootcamp for this purpose?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... if you have the $$$, you might want to think about running AutoCad for the Mac. It's expensive though and I don't know if you could transfer your license or receive an upgrade promotional price. You would have to ask the AutoDesk folks.

1. Running Windows on your Mac involves the same precautions that you take when running on a PC. So yes, you need AV software. I would stay away from anything Norton though. The free MSE software from MS works well enough.

2. Saving to PDF is built in on the Mac side but you will be unable to save your AutoCad drawings to the Mac and to PDF. So you do need some way to do it from Windows. Adobe?

3. No performance issues. However, and this is important... you didn't mention which MBP you have. If it's a new MBP, you will be unable to run XP or Vista. The only version of Windows compatible with the newer Macs is Windows 7 and Windows 8 (when it's released).

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, that's really helpful. I have a new MBP version 8.1 so I guess that means I can't put XP on it.

The other problem is that as I live in the UK, Autocad LT for Mac hasn't been released here yet (get onto it Autodesk!). Looks like I will have to keep the old PC for a while longer unless any of you guys stateside can get me LT for Mac!
;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.