It is time to do it!

Reaction score
It is time to do it! [UPDATE]

Dearest Mac-Friends

My Dad just told me this morning that for my 18. Birthday (21. Nov. ) I'm getting a 20" iMac G5 as long as it costs less than Swiss Francs 2500 (www.apple.ch)
That's amazing!

So, let's cool down...breathe...

I wanted to know wheter 1GB Ram (2x512) is sufficient to be able to, say, run iTunes, Pages/Word and some Dashboard stuff, while surfing in a couple of Safarii Tabs (it has tabs, doesn't it? )

Oh gosh I'm so excited, ordering it on the 10th so it'll be here on time !!!

I'll stick with the keyboard/mouse that comes with it coz i like the scrollwheel and have had enough of changing batteries with my current setup...

Byebye windows! Never again disks that won't mount !!! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
[highlight][size=+2]Congratulations[/size][/highlight]
congratulations.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
1 GB of RAM is more than enough for what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Some advice: you may want to not purchase the RAM from Apple, keeping it at the default, and just purchase your own separate stick from another company (from Crucial or the like), and you could either A. save money B. get more RAM or perhaps even both. If you want it to come all ready and installed, buying memory from Apple is fine, but if you feel you're adept enough to handle it yourself, then it's definitely worth it.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I just never felt comfortable opening a mac, i mean... it's A MAC... i have built in sound cards and tv-cards in pc's, but is installing memory on the mac really easy?!
Gosh i'm so excited.

Just a few more nervous confirmations...

Mac's really are a lot more stable when it comes to hanging up etc? I won't find myself force-quitting things to often?

How's the mounting really? I fought mith a linux system for 6 hours one night to mount my external hard drive properly... and that was Ubuntu.

Networking : Does it find wirelss networks easily and hook up DHCP quickly? Is there any settingup i need to do for that? At least in linux i never had to set up anything.

Installing: Is it true? Installing apps on mac is as easy as moving around a folder? How's the system maintenance, will i find myself clearing out the system of pieces like registry entries and little ini files that get left all over?

thx
yogi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Installing Memory is very easy.

Macs are more stable but when they do lock up it is very easy to force quit and restart the app.

Mounting is very good, you just plug the drive in a almost instantly its on your desktop.

Wireless networking is VERY easy you just select the network from the AirPort menu (in the menu bar) and your connected. There is no set up unless you have a WEP pass word to put in. (if you do have a WEP password it asks for it)

Installing apps is EXTREAMLY easy. Most apps come in a disk image (.dmg) that mounts up on your desktop like an external drive. Then you just drag the app/folder off the disk then eject the disk image and trash the .dmg file.

You're going to love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I open up my Powermac all the time! I installed my own memory, a TV tuner card, and an upgraded gfx card. Plus I modded it out so it has 2 12" cold cathod tubes in the front to give it a diffuse blue glow through the front grille. I can watch all my fans going round and round... cooooool...

They made the Power Macs ridiculously easy to work on, and the same goes for the iMacs (for certain parts like memory and hard drives), although you still need tools to open up the iMac.

And in case you were wondering... here are some pictures of my computer. I shielded the fronts of the CCR tubes with electrical tape so they don't shine directly out of the computer. It makes for a cool "glow" effect.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4

OP
Y
Reaction score
That's really nice
I just saw on apple's site that the new isight G5s have a special door for putting in Ram, so i needn't even take of the back anymore !

BTW, what Case Latency is safe to use? It doesn't say on the support page.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
sevenhelmet said:
I open up my Powermac all the time! I installed my own memory, a TV tuner card, and an upgraded gfx card. Plus I modded it out so it has 2 12" cold cathod tubes in the front to give it a diffuse blue glow through the front grille. I can watch all my fans going round and round... cooooool...

They made the Power Macs ridiculously easy to work on, and the same goes for the iMacs (for certain parts like memory and hard drives), although you still need tools to open up the iMac.

And in case you were wondering... here are some pictures of my computer. I shielded the fronts of the CCR tubes with electrical tape so they don't shine directly out of the computer. It makes for a cool "glow" effect.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4

LOL, I like the radiation sticker.

Amen-Moses

OP
Y
Reaction score
It's DONE

I have never had such a compfrtable buying experience! The operator I contacted gave me the iMac for whopping 2125 instead of 2500.

He ensured it'd be here in 2 weeks. The support guys in Switzerland are really good, and it's free. I think I'll get Apple Care soon in a couple of months.

20" iMac in basic Configuration it is... I'll stick in my own Ram (whop it up 1.5 GB MUAHA)

Should be fine. The order status online sez it'll be here on 22nd November, that's 10 working days away. Makes sense...

Well then... on to the unbearable wait... after all, I've wanted one since it released in September 2004 at the Paris Expo, when I saw Phil Schiller for the first time and it was the first keynote i'd ever seen... cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
dnt forget to send the new imac peekchures!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Amen-Moses said:
LOL, I like the radiation sticker.

Amen-Moses

Thanks! Yeah, and it's hard to see, but the other one is Calvin peeing on "Windows"... just like the stickers you see in the back windows of trucks sometimes.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Sevenhelmet: How did you get that paint job on the side?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Wow guys, it has shipped! Now it's all a matter of 3-5 days ... oooohhh

P

PEA

yogi said:
Dearest Mac-Friends

My Dad just told me this morning that for my 18. Birthday (21. Nov. ) I'm getting a 20" iMac G5 as long as it costs less than Swiss Francs 2500 (www.apple.ch)
That's amazing!

So, let's cool down...breathe...

I wanted to know wheter 1GB Ram (2x512) is sufficient to be able to, say, run iTunes, Pages/Word and some Dashboard stuff, while surfing in a couple of Safarii Tabs (it has tabs, doesn't it? )

Oh gosh I'm so excited, ordering it on the 10th so it'll be here on time !!!

I'll stick with the keyboard/mouse that comes with it coz i like the scrollwheel and have had enough of changing batteries with my current setup...

Byebye windows! Never again disks that won't mount !!! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Congratulations, indeed.
No, Safari does not have tabs.

Reaction score
Fallooza said:
i havent read all the post in this thread but Safari does indeed have tabs.
not on my iMac G5 20" 2.1ghz 1.5 gb ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
EDIT-XTREEM said:
not on my iMac G5 20" 2.1ghz 1.5 gb ram.

hit cmd+T or go to file:new tab. As long as it has OS X 10.4 Tiger on it, it has tabs. The panther version doesn't.

S

supremeoverlord

yes it does!!! of course it has tabs, I am not sure if they are initially enabled but a check box in preferences fixes that. just command T and new tab
infact I am writing this in a tab myself
NO TABS INDEED!

S

supremeoverlord

safari has had tabs for a long time I am on panther and tabbing it all babY
why doesn't anyone know what they are talking about?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.