Sharing a Printer

Reaction score
Hi I currently own a Dell PC and an iBook G4 12" 1.33GHz and I want to be able to share the printer which is connected to my Dell PC.

The printer is connected to the PC by USB, and my iBook accesses the internet through an ethernet cable from my router which is also connected to my PC by ethernet cable.

How do I set my iBook up to print off documents to my printer?

Thanks

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Share the printer on the Dell,...

Add the printer in the Printer Setup Utility (using windows printer)on the Mac,...

You'll most likely need to use a post script driver of some sort. Perhaps not even the manufacturers. It might take some trial and error with the driver to work well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually alot depends on which version of OSX you're running. 10.4 it will be very simple, 10.3 it's a little more complicated.

J

JTM

Sorry to hijack but . . .

What if it's the other way -

iMac G5 (OSX 10.4) with USB printer - wired
laptop PC - wireless

I'm new to this networking thing but I would like to avoid buying a print server if necessary.

Thanks,

~j

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
enable printer sharing in your preferences. And if am not wrong you will also need service pack 2 for windows.

J

JTM

I've turned on print sharing in the sharing folder on the iMac. I then messed around with the laptop for an hour and still couldn't get it to work/print. I used the print assistant and followed the prompts that said that I was connected over a network and that the printer was on another computer.

Anyone have any tips?

iMac G5 - OS X 10.4 w/ HP deskjet connected via USB - wired to
Netgear wireless router
PC Laptop - Windows Xp w/ service pack 2 running wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Download and instal Bonjour for windows from the Apple website....

C

corruptedness

Its funny cause while I was having the same exact problem eerily enough, trying to get a pc laptop to connect through my ibook to print through a netgear wireless router, this thread was going on. But Bonjour solved it all. I have now a PC that is connected to the wireless router with a wire. That computer is also connected to a printer. Can I even share that printer? So I can have a 2 printer 3 computer network?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.