Best reads/FAQ's?

M

mracuraintegra

Hey all,

I'm not a switcher, just an "expander"... I've been using PC's for years, and figured I'd add a Mac to my collection. I'm not going to switch entirely to Mac, but I'd like to at least have some experience on one. After scoring a G4 from a surplus sale at a local college for $100, I'm kinda at a loss because I don't know how to do the common things I take for granted on a PC.

My question is, is there any FAQ or guide online that you guys could suggest that would make my learning curve a little easier? I'm an MCSE, so preferably it wouldn't be "Introduction to the Keyboard" level. I'm looking for something practical that provides a good "transitional" explaination, and explains analogues between the two.

Also, one last thing... how do you access shared drives on another computer in OS X? I tried just typing "\\192.168.1.1" into Safari, hoping that it would work like it does in Windows and bring up shared folders on the other PC, but no luck.

Thanks in advance!

OP
U

UncSki1218

If the drives that are shared are on a pc then this should work. First make sure that file sharing is enabled on the pc's. Open a finder window (the thing like my computer). Click network. Then, the name of your network should appear. Double click it. Then just select the computer thaqt you want to view. Tell me if that doesnt make sense or it doesnt work. As for the intro to mac. This is probably to basic but check it out anyway... http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

OP
M

mracuraintegra

Well, it worked... sorta.

I can see the PC, I can click on it, and then it asks me what I want to mount as an SMB share. It only lists one folder on the remote host, despite the fact that I have many folders shared, with no authentication required to access them ('Everyone' permissions). This folder is the generic public folder in Windows XP called 'SharedDocs'. Unfortunately, none of the data I want to access is in that folder! Is there any more that I need to be doing on either end?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.