• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Apple tv QUESTION...

Reaction score
Can you tellk me please....
Is it practicle and possible to plat all movies including anything down loaded
through Apple TV i.e Itunes on my TV ??
Are there format restrictions for Itunes that impede this ?
Regards...
Andrew..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
iTunes only without hacking the unit which is not advised as when new firmware comes down the pipe you could own a pretty brick instead of an Apple TV.

OP
R
Reaction score
iTunes only without hacking the unit which is not advised as when new firmware comes down the pipe you could own a pretty brick instead of an Apple TV.

So if i want to play content off my computer i.e downloaded movies etc i am up the creek then ???

I would be better off with a smart tv upgrader ....

I say that as i am not sure if i can play downlaoded movies through itunes ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't know about the original ATV, but the ATV2 you can obviously stream from iTunes (not a huge deal to transcode files into m4v), if you have an iPhone 4 or an iPad 2 and have AirVideo, you can use a little trick to be able to play pretty much any video on your system on the ATV2 without manual transcoding (requires the use of the AirVideo server, you basically have it transcode on the fly and have your device then stream it to the ATV2).

The last option is jailbreaking which does work and usually won't brick your device. Usually if a device becomes non-responsive due to an apple OTA update you can do a restore through iTunes to get it back to stock firmware. One would think - Oh cool, this will work great - well, I have a jailbroken ATV2 w/ XBMC installed. It works OK, but not great. There are a lot of files I have that it can't handle or autocrashes XBMC back to the ATV2 menu (AVI's that are too large, MKVs with certain H.264 encoded video files can cause grief, etc.).

Your best bet (for video compatibility) is to either transcode (Handbrake has ATV2 presets, or you can use MPEGStreamClip) or if you have an iOS device look into the Air Video trick.

C

chas_m

1. You could stop pirating movies.
2. You can convert movies that are in pretty much any format into the format Apple TV requires.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.