Mac Preview (missing one thing... or is it)

Reaction score
Hi, i have recently made the change over from windows to mac...

I understand that Mac Preview is the standard image viewer... however i don't like the way that it does not allow you to flick through all of the images in a certain folder, like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (default windows image viewer) does...

When you open a image in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and hit the LEFT or RIGHT buttons on the keyboard, the program flicks to the next image in the folder which you opened the original image in...

Can Mac Preview not do this... thanks in advance for your help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
I just recently switched to a Mac myself too and I noticed this as well.

Can you actually open a folder of images in the Mac Preview? From my experience that I played with the last week or so you can only open one image in Mac Preview at a time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are two ways you can accomplish this.

1. Use QuickLook - highlight a picture (or set of pictures) and use the arrow keys to move between them.
2. Highlight all the pictures you want to view, double click them to open them in Preview and, again, use the arrow keys to move between them.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Also, in Finder, if you click on the Form Flow icon you can scroll through all the images in a folder.

iNB

Reaction score
Highlight the file in Finder and then press the space bar. You can then use the up and down arrows to browse your files. Works for me in Lion anyway.

C

chas_m

Yeah, why would you want to use a program (any program) to look through a folder full of pictures when that ability is built into the system?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, why would you want to use a program (any program) to look through a folder full of pictures when that ability is built into the system?
It helps if you want to make quick edits or annotations. Other than that though, QuickLook will get the job done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.