Airport Extreme again, or something else?

Reaction score
'Bout time to upgrade my network. Need two routers to extend my network throughout the house, linking a network of 6 computers & two printers. Been using Airports since the original translucent-ish UFO model. I've never had great success in getting consistent good transfer speeds between computers. Seems like EyeTV sharing and a few other things still aren't working as well as they should.

Before upgrading to the 5th Gen AEBS, I'm wondering if folks have other options that they'd consider?

I'm wanting dual band N routers with the ability to extend my network. Each needs at least 4 ethernet ports, and a USB port with printer support.

Any better options out there for Mac users than the AEBS? Not really looking 'cheaper' just better if it exists.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would recommend the Airport Extreme, and use AirPort Express to extend. I added an Express this weekend to my stereo for AirPlay and am floored how easy it was. Express can also add printing to the mix as well, so that way the USB on the Extreme can be used for a HD instead of printer. All over wireless N. I have an ethernet printer already, and plugged it in to my Extreme and it worked like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had better luck with the AEBS than I did with Linksys and Netgear as far as lasting and the second best was D-Link. That being said the new AEBS does have simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz radios while giving the ability to have a guest network
not to mention full support for Time Machine and printers via USB. Last but not least you can control up to 4 more AEBS/AE 's for total home coverage besides other things depending on your setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.