Slow connection since upgrading router

Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded my router to the NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700) my MacBook has been very slow to open pages when it does open them when I use Firefox or Google Chrome. I can't even get into Safari because it only opens halfway. (The search box only opens halfway) My MacBook is operating on 10.5.8, and I am beginning to wonder if this is the problem however due to lack of funds I want to try everything I can before I spend any money upgrading. I don't have any connection problems with my IPAD2, PC, or Netbook. A friend brought over their MacBook Air which is running on Lion and he did not have the issues I am having. I even called Netgear support and they basically tried to sell me premium support which I refused because if I need to update my OS, purchasing premium support would not have solved my problem. I have also installed and run Clean My Mac, but it didn't help. Any assistance will be appreciated and I am a novice and therefore if you provide suggestions can you put it in laymans terms? Thanks!:*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
i don't think your problem is your router, but your macbook. i have a netgear router and my macbook runs just fine. do you usually put the macbook to sleep, or shut it down? i learned here that you need to shut it down periodically, or it starts throwing beach balls like crazy and running more slowly. also clear the cache, history and cookies - all in firefox preferences. i know these are very simple suggestions, but starting with the easy stuff is usually the best thing. good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.