Using Mail -- integrating mailboxes

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got all my mail imported from Thunderbird from my PC, and it's all there. However, the initial Mail Inbox and Sent boxes are listed separately. Is there a way to integrate them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Probably not. You could, if you so desired, elect to CC yourself on every outbound mail. They'd then appear in your inbox.

OP
M
Reaction score
Oops, my original message wasn't clear. I don't want to combine inbox and sent -- what I want to do is have ONE inbox (not the original one plus the separate one imported from Thunderbird), and ONE outbox (likewise.)

Does that clarify?

C

chas_m

Yes it does.

I think the easiest way (though I'm sure it's not the only way) is to select the "wrong" inbox, select all messages within it, copy*, select "right" inbox, paste (or drag-and-drop from one to the other). Repeat with the "Sent."

Finally, delete the "wrong" boxes.

*you'll notice I said "copy" not "cut." This is just a safety measure in case something goes wrong.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hmmm... In Thunderbird I used to keep my old emails organized in subfolders -- if I copy all the messages in a subfolder and paste them into the Inbox, they're there but I don't see a way to keep them in a subfolder. Whenever I try to create a new mailbox or smart mailbox folder (the only folder option I see), it isn't created as a subfolder of Inbox, but is added to the "On my Mac" section where all the imported mailboxes already are.

In other words, there seems to be a universal unalterable inbox, sent, junk, etc mailbox (showing at the top left of the mail sidebar), and any other mailboxes I create are put into the separate "On my Mac" section.

And even though there's ostensibly a "Use this mailbox for..." option, on every mailbox I look at, all the options are grayed out.

And I don't see anything in the preferences to allow me to set which mailbox to use for inbox, sent, etc.

C

chas_m

I wish you had specified what you actually wanted the first time.

Yeah, the inbox (outbox, junk, trash) doesn't get sub-folders. All folders and sub-folders go either in "On My Mac" (meaning local storage) or under a heading with the name of your provider (ie, they're on that server). That way people understand where the mail files *actually* are.

OP
M
Reaction score
I thought I was! Sometimes it takes some back and forth to learn how to articulate what the real problem actually is. I'm not trying your patience on purpose.

How can I put subfolders under the heading of my ISP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.