Help Please Trying to update software

Reaction score
I am new to Apple computers and I have an I-mac. I went for one to one training today and asked for help on how to use the cloud from my 2 year old 3G iPhone. I was told that I must first update the software in my phone. Right now I am using Version 4.3 software in the i phone. The instructor told me that I should go to iTunes and connect the iPhone to the iMac and upgrade the iPhone system software to the MAC OSX Lion software. I am afraid that I am going to screw this computer up or somehow, mess up the phone. I have never updated any of the software on the phone since I've owned it. I am about to go to iTunes and attempt to synchronize both the phone and the iMac. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, CapnFred

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can't help until know what model machine and the operating system sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The phone os is not the same as the PC os. your iPhone will not ever be able to be upgraded to Lion. Only the PC.

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on the PC then plug in the iPhone and open iTunes and have iTunes do the phone os update to iOS 5.0.1.

Oh, and the phone could not be 2 years old and have the 4.3 iOS on it if you have never updated the phone. iOS 4 came out last November, if I remember correctly, so someone updated your phone since you got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
As Harry has said, it's going to be difficult to assist you without knowing your machine and OS.

Couple of things to make sure of though - You say that you are going to upgrade the iPhone software to OSX Lion. You can't. I'm sure you're aware of this but Lion is a Mac OS, what you're wanting is iOS5.

To be able to download iOS5, you need to have the latest version of iTunes which is 10.5.1 which won't run on anything earlier than OS 10.5.

So, assuming your iMac is fairly new, and you're running at least OS 10.5 (Leopard) then this is what you have to do;

Download the latest version of iTunes (10.5.1). Once you've done that, you should just be able to hook up your iPhone to your iMac and iTunes will tell you that there is a software update available, which should be iOS 5.0.1.

Before it performs the download, it will ask you to back up your iPhone. So just perform a sync as normal, then you are good to download the update. Once downloaded, the phone will do a few "strange" things, such as powering down and back up a couple of times. Whilst it's doing this, just leave it be and you shouldn't encounter any problems with it. It will then restore from the back up you made previous, and you're good to go!

But to reiterate what Harry said, we'll be able to give you some more precise information if you told us what model iMac and OS you're running.

Hope that helps somewhat.

EDIT: Didn't mean to just write a more convoluted version of Deckyon's post... It just took me an age to write it! ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi, Thank you for your response to my predicament. I was able to upgrade my iPhone to the newest OS iOS5 and was quite easy once I got going. Thank you for you help and for being there when I need you. Sincerely, CapnFred

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.