iTunes Match

Reaction score
I just signed up for iTunes match. My music library says I have 1492 songs but iTunes match has me at 1442. Why the discrepancy? Also how can I see what songs are in iCloud that were matched and what songs, if any, we're uploaded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
I signed up yesterday.

I have about 14,000 tracks and change, it matched all but about 350 right away. The rest have to be uploaded because iTunes does not have them to match for me. That may be the same thing going on for you. I think it will take a few weeks for them to upload.

I could see my music on my iPhone and iPad right away, or within about a half hour, but it took about 24 hours for me to see it on my MacBook Pro and other computers.

I am kind of excited about it, good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Here it is a few weeks later, I just signed up after waiting for the initial rush to be over.

I ended up needing to upload just over 1300 songs. I expected this, since I have a number of friends who produce their own music and would not be listed anywhere. I left the upload run overnight and this morning, all was good and my entire library is available.

Things to consider when it comes to the upload speed - it will be a fraction of the speed of your download. I have 50MB down, 2.5 up. For residential and most "coffee houses" your upload will be between 1MB to 3MB on average for the upstream to keep people from running services from their homes through residential prices.

One thing I keep hearing about Match is that is it not true streaming. At first I thought "why do I need to download the songs to my device rather than just streaming them?" Seemed to defeat the purpose, until I realized, with as much music as I play, downloading them once used way less data than streaming over and over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have noticed that the songs I play on my iPhone are downloaded. I listened to and album yesterday and lastnight I noticed it was downloaded.
I didn't do anything other than play it. So does Match actually stream at all? I was wondering because if the music I play is downloaded, considering all the music I have Matched, I guess Ill just have to clear my phone periodically. Not a problem but just not what I expected.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have noticed that the songs I play on my iPhone are downloaded. I listened to and album yesterday and lastnight I noticed it was downloaded.
I didn't do anything other than play it. So does Match actually stream at all? I was wondering because if the music I play is downloaded, considering all the music I have Matched, I guess Ill just have to clear my phone periodically. Not a problem but just not what I expected.

Yeah I think thats how it works. I thought it would download while you listened and then put it back in the cloud so your phone memory wasn't eaten up. Guess not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Lets see.

Streaming - takes up no storage on the device; eats up your data plan.
Download and play - takes up storage on the device, does not eat up data plan as much.

Lesser of two evils. Streaming is great, but if someone does not have unlimited, streaming can take a lot of data from the plan for even a few albums. With the iTunes Match model, it only performs the download of data once, rather than each time you play a song or album.

It actually makes sense, especially for those who do not have an unlimited data plan.

OP
N
Reaction score
Lets see.

Streaming - takes up no storage on the device; eats up your data plan.
Download and play - takes up storage on the device, does not eat up data plan as much.

Lesser of two evils. Streaming is great, but if someone does not have unlimited, streaming can take a lot of data from the plan for even a few albums. With the iTunes Match model, it only performs the download of data once, rather than each time you play a song or album.

It actually makes sense, especially for those who do not have an unlimited data plan.

How do you stream music from iCloud? When I play a song that is in iCloud it downloads it to my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You DONT! That was the whole point of the post.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ahh, misunderstood your post. Can you delete songs from the device without syncing to a computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, go into the Music app, go to Artists or Songs or Albums at the bottom, scroll through until you find an item without the iCloud label on the right and swipe to the right and hit the delete button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, thanks for the input. It's fine, but just not what I expected. Makes sense too. I just recently down graded my plan from 5 gigs to 2 gigs per month because I stream radio all day and hardly use a gig per month.

I gotta say though, match is real cool!

Reaction score
iTunes match for more than one user?

Here's what I'm trying to figure out and can't find the answer anywhere. My wife and I have separate Apple IDs. If I subscribe to iTunes Match, is there any way she can connect to it from her iPhone, but still use her Apple ID for iTunes, iCloud, etc.? Or would we both have to subscribe to iTM separately?

C

chas_m

No, she can't use one AppleID for iTunes and one for iTunes Match, that's not going to work. If she replaced her existing iTunes account (and thus lost all her music/purchases) and switched to your AppleID for iTunes, she could then use your iTunes Match (but now she only has YOUR library; hers is gone).

You CAN use separate AppleIDs in the sense of "one for purchases/iTunes/iCloud and one for e-mail," but as far as I know that's it.

Reaction score
No, she can't use one AppleID for iTunes and one for iTunes Match, that's not going to work. If she replaced her existing iTunes account (and thus lost all her music/purchases) and switched to your AppleID for iTunes, she could then use your iTunes Match (but now she only has YOUR library; hers is gone).

You CAN use separate AppleIDs in the sense of "one for purchases/iTunes/iCloud and one for e-mail," but as far as I know that's it.

Thanks for clarifying. So if we merge Apple IDs, would we still have separate iCloud backups for our separate iPhones?

C

chas_m

I don't know how you would "merge" two Apple IDs, so I can't answer your question.

iTunes Match is $25 per year *per iTunes library*

Reaction score
I don't know how you would "merge" two Apple IDs, so I can't answer your question.

iTunes Match is $25 per year *per iTunes library*

Sorry, I didn't mean merge literally, I just meant that we would start using the same iTunes account (either mine or hers). Would each of our iPhones still have its own iCloud backup, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Yes. Each has it's own unique Device ID, and so each has it's own backup. It's just as if you simply had two iPhones (which I do).

Reaction score
Match issue downloading music to different IOS 5 devices

I just subscribed to Match Tuesday (12/27). I have an Ipad2, and 2 iPhone 4S's enabled. One of the 4S's (a 16 Gb) downloaded all the music from my library in iCloud right away but without album artwork. My second 4S (a 32 GB) has downloaded most, but not all of the music and some album artwork is missing even though it was attached via iTunes, The music on the iPad2 is also incomplete but with different titles not downloaded compared to the 4S (32Gb)#2. Any thoughts?

I have 1599 tracks uploaded into iCloud and all apparently uploaded and discovered, etc. OK. How long does it take to have everything available to download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I just subscribed to Match Tuesday (12/27). I have an Ipad2, and 2 iPhone 4S's enabled. One of the 4S's (a 16 Gb) downloaded all the music from my library in iCloud right away but without album artwork. My second 4S (a 32 GB) has downloaded most, but not all of the music and some album artwork is missing even though it was attached via iTunes, The music on the iPad2 is also incomplete but with different titles not downloaded compared to the 4S (32Gb)#2. Any thoughts?

I have 1599 tracks uploaded into iCloud and all apparently uploaded and discovered, etc. OK. How long does it take to have everything available to download?

This one is a bit of a mystery. I know that my devices all synched up right away with no trouble. Took about 30 minutes start to finish across two iPhones, my iPad, and two Macs. My recommend would be to take the devices that had a problem and re-synch them. Just wipe them out and start again, because it sounds like something went wrong mid synch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.