hard drive queiries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beginner Powermac G4 Dual core 1125,1 gig memory,80 gig hd
Hi I have just purchased a 1125 dual core G4 as my introduction to the world of macs as a beginner with them I wondered if it is possible to reformat a 500 gig hard drive from my dell to use in it i have one and a half gig memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it you mean a 1.25GHz MDD G4? If the drive in the Dell is an IDE drive, pop it in and boot from your system install disc, go into Disk Utility and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) That will erase the drive and you will be right to go if the hard drive is good.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you harryb248 the information helped me out no end it was an ide drive booted and working ok , I am as I say new to macs so any help you can give is greatly apreciated,I wish to upgrade the ram to 2gig,1 gig at present do I have to get mac specific ddr or will any generic work as I hold loads from old pcs i have scrapped
Many Thanks
Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as ever a big thankyou to Harryb2448 I managed to get hold of 2 sticks of 512 mb memory from Scrumpymacs reasonably priced at £19 GB inc delivery certainly noticed a diffrence I cant believe I never migrated to macs before now wonderfull machine,I wondered if you could advise using sphos antivirus or reccomend some other
Many Thanks Alan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.