What does "i" stand for?

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
That's right. This question has no relevance or anything, but as I sit on my iBook while listening to my iPod, talk to my friends on iChat, type on my iKeyboard (okay you get the idea) I have to wonder what "i" could possibly stand for.

U

UncSki1218

maybe because they're all very customizable. it is what u make it. and it looks cool. i just typed this on my imac.

M

Merlinblack

interactive?
intuitive?
interesting?

I'm sure there is an official answer somewhere

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
It first stood for Internet, then they just added it to the consumer line.

OP
RChickenMan
Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Stood for internet... In what context?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The first iProduct from Apple was the iMac. It was designed as the "internet Mac" that could be used as a simple, cheap "network computer" without an operating system...it could boot from an OS installed on a server (NetBoot) and access the internet, or run applications stored on that server.

This never actually happened (though it is still possible, with an iMac or any Mac released since then) but the idea of a simple Mac with quick internet connectivity remained in the iMac that was eventually sold.

Eventually, the "i" prefix came to mean a low-cost, easy- (or easier-)to-use product intended for the general public. iMac vs. Power Mac, iBook vs. PowerBook, iMovie vs. FinalCut Pro, etc. although Apple has not released any products with an iName in the last couple of years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
It used to irritate me, I though it was some kind of egotistical thing, like "I Mac" where "Mac" is used as a verb: to use a macintosh computer. I was just like "Duhhh... that's why it has a picture of an apple on it... that's redundant!"

But then somebody told me about the "Internet Mac"

Then I just kinda got used to it... kinda like the "Mc" in front of everything "McDonalds"... I'm gonna do through the McDriveThru, but on the other hand, I might need to use the McBathroom, so order me a McBurger and make sure you shut the McEngine off to save on McFuel because it costs a lot of McDollars these days.

iUse my iPod to download some iTunes and iListen to them every night before iGo to sleep. When iWake up, iLike to eat breakfast and then iStart up my lovely iMac.

(it's a powermac actually, but you get the "iDea"...)

Reaction score
i believe the i stands for Intelligent, intelligent pod, intelligent mac, intelligent chat, but Im not sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
No, it really was internet originally. Steve Jobs stated it himself, but as it was in an interview of some sort, it is possible that he said this fairly spontaneously, and unofficially. Now it does give off a sort of 'individual' connotation when you talk about it, as well as being the prefix for (mostly) consumer-level products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 3.06 C2D - 4 GB RAM & Mac Mini - 1.66 Intel - 2GB RAM
I remember reading sometime last year that Apple had changed the i to stand for integrated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
trix213 said:
and so emac would be..... electronic?
eDucation.

The eMac was sold to schools initially, but later made available to the public. It's now exclusive tho schools again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Rofl it should be electronic. "As opposed to the rest of our computers, which for years have secretly been powered by fusion. Those silly AC adapters are just anchors."

B

BEEEsH

Merlinblack said:
interactive?
intuitive?
interesting?

I'm sure there is an official answer somewhere

the 'i' in ibook stands for you.

Think of it as, "mybook, mylife, mywork, mypod."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
<-------------------------it was copied from my avatar

S

sursuciofla

i stands for...

intelligent
incredible
indestructible
impeccable
impregnable

"I want your heart. I want to eat his children."

If you are a boxing fan you know what I am referring to. :black:

F

Fallooza

I think it first stood for Internet, then they just added it to the consumer line.

Z

zap2

ya as said before internet becuz the iMac G3 was internet ready

DO you really use your iPod while on your iBook? or was that just part of your story?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.