• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

movie quailty

Reaction score
i getting into burning dvds. i did one with idvd but the picture quality was awful on my hdtv. i have xilisoft video convertor so im trying to convert it to hd quality or at least the quality of standard dvds so my bluray player can upscale them. after i use xilisoft i import the movie to imovie so i can use it in idvd. is there a better setup for a better picture, other than buying a bluray dvd burner, or is that what im going to need ?

OP
H
Reaction score
really i want to do is record them as good as a standard dvd. the standard dvd play great in my upscaling player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
really i want to do is record them as good as a standard dvd. the standard dvd play great in my upscaling player.

iDVD should do that. So I wonder what your work flow was for iDVD quality to be bad.

Toast (with the BR extension) can create Blu-Ray resolution onto standard DVDs. You will be limited by space which limits the length of your video.

OP
H
Reaction score
i figure if a standard dvd looked great on my hdtv with the upscaling from the HD player than all i need to do is burn a dvd to standard quailty. i do have the HD/BluRay add on with my toast 11 but feel that i shouldnt need to burn a bluray. thats what i need to figure out = what setting to pick for transferring and burning. i have to load the movie in imove to be able to burn it. first i use xilisoft video converter but it has so many choices to pick from. i tried the ps3 HD and then transferred it to imove then to idvd and it turned a lot better. i think if i get the combination just right ill be set. i need to find out the best setting in xilisoft to start. guess if it was easy every body would do it, hey most people probably know how. its all a learning curve for me. and its a puzzle.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe I missed it but how long was the video you loaded into iDVD? The limit to still get reasonable quality is somewhere around an hour and a half or so depending upon the complexity of the menus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The limit to still get reasonable quality is somewhere around an hour and a half
Unless you use a dual layer dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB003LL/A
Yeah, dual layer DVD stores up 8.5 gbs. Try googling, people should have pre-sets for your taste.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.