cloning and restoring bootcamp

Reaction score
so i have figured out how i can clone my bootcamp partition very easily (disk utility in mac osx onto external harddrive) but how do i restore that on a new computers bootcamp utilty via external hard drive? also will the clone be exactly like the old partition? will all my documents and programs still be there? if u cant tell already i am not very experienced with computers but i am good enough that i was able to partition and do all that. when you reply just keep in mind my experience level. thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yet to get any form of cloning Windows 7 to work. Just do a clean install and run Bootcamp from within OS X and allow Bootcamp to set up and format the partition.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok im a little confused... i re installed bootcamp and made a partition on my new computer. how do i use the clone on my external hard drive to restore it onto my new partition? in other words, i have a clone now, what do i do with it to restore it onto my partition????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i made a clone with carbon copy cloner. what do i do now???

To make an image of Windows 7 you either have to use the Windows 7 built in imaging software or you can use WinClone which doesn't always work right.

Carbon Copy Cloner does not copy Boot Camp partitions, it only works for cloning HFS Extended Journaled partitions.

At this point in time, I would take Harry's advice and start over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And let Bootcamp make the partition. And Winclone has never worked yet in three or four tries, and is no longer supported by the developers.

OP
S
Reaction score
well carbon copy cloner actually managed to clone BOOTCAMP but i dont know how i can restore it. it says bootcamp is write only. i tried macfuse and ntfs 3g but it kept saying macfuse wasnt installed when it was...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated above, CCC only works with HFS Extended Journaled partitions. It may have copied it along with the remainder of the OS X partition but there is no way to restore it.

Windows 7 will actually make a restorable image for you but it requires an external drive formatted to NTFS. Restoring it is straight forward but it means booting with the Windows 7 DVD and direct the image to the correct partition.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK SWEET! I have a external hard drive formatted to NTFS... what do i do now??? how can i make that image??? how do i restore it??? will all my programs and things still b there??? i dont care if i lose everything on my current partition its all messed up, i tried to copy paste but it messed everything up

OP
S
Reaction score
and i have my windows 7 cd... so i just need to know how to do this... and what all does it restore?? everything or just my documents? cuz everywhere ive looked it says that the windows thing doesnt restore everything. its my last opion so im up to try it out, its better than a fresh start at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't. Time for a reinstall as if you were just starting out with Bootcamp.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok well i guess ill just have a fresh start. i didnt have anything too important itll just b a little bit of a pain to reinstall most stuff. is there no way to just make it go back to the way it was before i copy pasted all my programs into program files program files x86 and users???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.