• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How are you going to cook it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.7
OK so just for the fun of it:

Whatever you are eating this Thanksgiving, how are you going to cook it? Bake, broil, fry, grill, smoke?

Going to grill a brined turkey myself.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
My method is to not enter the kitchen while the cooking is going on. :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OK so just for the fun of it:

Whatever you are eating this Thanksgiving, how are you going to cook it? Bake, broil, fry, grill, smoke?

Going to grill a brined turkey myself.

Turkey roasted on the Weber Kettle.
It doesn't get any better than that! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My method is to not enter the kitchen while the cooking is going on. :D

Wise man! I was going to rep you for that. But apparently in a moment of weakness I must have recently given you rep points for something else.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Wise man! I was going to rep you for that. But apparently in a moment of weakness I must have recently given you rep points for something else.

Ha - that just means you must not be spreading the love much since I can't even go that far back when I check my profile. Shame on you. :Angry-Tongue:

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW - I'd love to try a fried turkey one of these days - I'm told that's the only way to go.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What goes into brining a Turkey? I've actually never even heard of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So here's the brine..

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice

Stick all that in a cooler (I nuke the honey as well, and add it with the hot water.. it dissolves better, so too does the salt), with the bird. Let it sit at least overnight in the brine. Remove, dry the bird and cook. Makes it tasty brings the moist goodness :D

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm... I wonder if I can talk the head cook around here into trying that. We actually use my mom's recipe - which includes smearing the turkey with mayo and stuffing it with fruit.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Fried is good. The trick is too get the oil super hot so that it basically flash cooks the bird and seals in the juices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fried is good. The trick is too get the oil super hot so that it basically flash cooks the bird and seals in the juices.

That's true of any frying though, or you just get greasy, nasty, food.

In general though, I'm still not a huge fan of fried turkey.. but that's just me :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha - that just means you must not be spreading the love much since I can't even go that far back when I check my profile. Shame on you. :Angry-Tongue:

Maybe I've been in grouchy mood lately. . . Though my own rep profile only goes back a month.

I do try to keep a balance between Repping everything and only the standouts. So, thinking about it it may take me a month to work through ten others. I can remember Repping four people in the last two weeks, but that is as far as my memory takes me.

OP
TrueTone911
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.7
Hmmmm... I wonder if I can talk the head cook around here into trying that. We actually use my mom's recipe - which includes smearing the turkey with mayo and stuffing it with fruit.

Oh once you have a brined bird you won't go back. As Dysfunction said it's tasty and moist like you won't believe.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here's the brine..

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice

Stick all that in a cooler (I nuke the honey as well, and add it with the hot water.. it dissolves better, so too does the salt), with the bird. Let it sit at least overnight in the brine. Remove, dry the bird and cook. Makes it tasty brings the moist goodness :D

So - I'm trying to decide if I want to try this - but what's with the hot water and the bag of ice - they sort of seem to have counter purposes to me - but then I don't know anything about this sort of thing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Heard mine is going to be baked...

Lasagna... Going to the kid instead of him coming to us this year.

And probably no meat since our kid is a vegetarian. His wife is not though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed big time that she'll have something for us meat eaters there.

I may have to go visit Razormac.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heard mine is going to be baked...

Lasagna... Going to the kid instead of him coming to us this year.

And probably no meat since our kid is a vegetarian. His wife is not though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed big time that she'll have something for us meat eaters there.

I may have to go visit Razormac.

We have plenty. You are always welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So - I'm trying to decide if I want to try this - but what's with the hot water and the bag of ice - they sort of seem to have counter purposes to me - but then I don't know anything about this sort of thing.

Gotta dissolve the salt and honey. That won't happen in cold water. :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotta dissolve the salt and honey. That won't happen in cold water. :D

And then the ice to chill the brine so the nasty bugs don't run wild until the salt gets them in check. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.