• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What to do with an old iMac?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old iMac that I have no idea what to do with. We bought it in 1999 I think. It's the blueberry style with about 8Gig of hard drive space. It's been restored to it's original software state. Do people still buy these things for parts? It is a great little machine, I just don't need it anymore. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
It's old as dirt, ancient, from the dinosaur era. You might as well just keep it. It's art.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The blueberries wont fetch much cash value, but are likely to become collectors items

Put it on ebay, first have a look at what they are fetching, but there is always someone out there who will give a home to retro mac that's still in good working order

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
machines like these make great "jukeboxes"

set it up somewhere, like a living room, and run it solely for iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
My daughter has one. I paid £10 at a boot fair, and it had shed loads of software on it too.
You won't get much more than £25 for it I would reckon. Keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
The thing about selling these machine is the prices vary quite a bit. It all comes down to what somebody is willing to pay for it. I've actually seen these go for $100 on Ebay before. (No idea WHY, too high IMO), and sometimes you can find them on the side of a curb for free. As for just selling it, I think a fair price is probably about $25-$30.

You'd probably be better off keeping it. They're still cool little computers. :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
turn it into a fish tank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Maybe he means a virtual fish tank with a cool screensaver! :Cool:

imacaquariumb1.jpg

I'm almost sure he meant this... :(

Reaction score
No! BAD! I'm all for it if the computer is dead, but if not, don't kill it! :Shouting:

I agree 100% with McDude.

I've a couple of old PC's (HP Pavilion 4530, a Compaq Presario 5012US, and I'm getting an imac G3 tomorrow. These computers are strictly to train on. I know they're now obsolete, but you never know when a customer (or any person) might have an older computer that they want to use for some reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.