Popcorn/Toast 7

U

UncSki1218

I have toast 6. it is a great burning utility. But, i have lost of dvd's backed up onto my hd. they are all about 7.5 gigs. I know that i need popcorn or toast 7 to compress it to fit on a single dvd. Is there a free alternative like toast 7 or popcorn?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DVD2OneX works great for just compressing them to fit on a 4.7GB DVD but I believe it costs a bit but no where as much as Popcorn. You might check it out. Just checked and it's $49.99 in the USA. Less if you live in Europe.

I have heard that Toast 7 does everything Popcorn does. If that is true I would rather have Toast 7 as it's a full featured burning program.

OP
U

UncSki1218

ok i got popcorn. i made a disk image from a video-ts folder. now im using toast 6 to burn the disk image to a dvd. the disk image is 4.6 gb. i have dvd's that are 4.7 gb's. But when i try to burn the image to the dvd it says that the dvd only has 4.4gb's of space. i have tried it with multiple unused dvd's. is there a way to get the image to below 4.4gb? should the dvd have all 4.7gb available?

thANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC Pro, ESX server, & 17" G4 Powerbook
I had popcorn as well and was not too impressed with it. I had problems trying to copy anything above 4.5 Gigs. I decided to do some research and found a great utility called "Mac the Ripper" Then I used DVD2oneX to use compression. Overall I prefer DVD2oneX and I just paid 49.99.

OP
U

UncSki1218

yeah i use mtr for ripping the dvd. but then i need too compress it. ill try wth popcorn a little more. otherwise ill try dvd2onex. thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I use the same line of progression that kmarty uses except I compress AND burn with Popcorn. Rip with MacTheRipper, Use DVD2OneX to tidy it up so it will fit on one DVD and then use Popcorn and set the compression setting to "only as needed" and let it burn it for you. I've only had about 2-3 coaster for every 20 DVD's made so far.

**note, nothing in this post is to insue or be taken as piracy or a means to pirate. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
UncSki1218 said:
I have toast 6. it is a great burning utility. But, i have lost of dvd's backed up onto my hd. they are all about 7.5 gigs. I know that i need popcorn or toast 7 to compress it to fit on a single dvd. Is there a free alternative like toast 7 or popcorn?

I like DVDRemaster 2.5, www.metakine.com
I believe I went ahead and got the Pro version, same price as DVD2OneX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I ave been using MTR and Popcorn for about a year now and have very few coasters, maybe 2 or 3. I want to know is there a way to save the compressed TS folder to the HD? I know you can do this in windows with Shrink.

OP
F

Fallooza

IronMac said:
I ave been using MTR and Popcorn for about a year now and have very few coasters, maybe 2 or 3. I want to know is there a way to save the compressed TS folder to the HD? I know you can do this in windows with Shrink.
i never tryed but maybe you could just rip the compressed DVD that you made.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.