Imac display issue, like wires behind screen casting shadows

Reaction score
First off, i have been coming here for the great info for awhile, but never needed to post. I'm hoping some one might lend me some good advice on a display issue. I have what looks like a shadow of a wire behind the display of my late 2009 iMac. I have recently noticed it, and it's kinda bugging me. It's not like a persistent burn in from an image. But it is persistently reminding me it's there. Could this be some hardware. It looks like a water mark on the screen running up and down squiggly line about 1/4 thick, 8 inches long. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Chas was asking is if it still shows up in a Screen Shot. To do a Screen Shot in OSX you hold down Command+Shift+3. It will save to the desktop. Do you see the same pattern in the Screen Shot?

OP
O
Reaction score
What Chas was asking is if it still shows up in a Screen Shot. To do a Screen Shot in OSX you hold down Command+Shift+3. It will save to the desktop. Do you see the same pattern in the Screen Shot?

sorry it's not in the screenshot, viewing on my monitor, which is probably faulty.

Screen Shot 2011-11-20 at 5.32.05 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't see it.

OP
O
Reaction score
Not the video card then, it's the panel.

such a shame, I love this thing. It's like having a hot gf with a birthmark on her cheek. Still not going to dump her. But I like to sell it and upgrade, like my ex wife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
such a shame, I love this thing. It's like having a hot gf with a birthmark on her cheek. Still not going to dump her. But I like to sell it and upgrade, like my ex wife.

My NEC 2690 exhibited similar artifacts and it was internal separations of some sort. NEC replaced the monitor.

Sorry to see you have a similar problem.

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for the input. I think it is a hardware issue. iMac is a good idea, but this form factor inherently was doomed for failure over the longterm. It's only been 2 years. Next I think I getting a macbook pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iMac G5 iSight LCD is still like new after 6+ years use and most of it 24 a day. Your issue with the panel is at least to all the forums I have read, rare.

OP
O
Reaction score
My iMac G5 iSight LCD is still like new after 6+ years use and most of it 24 a day. Your issue with the panel is at least to all the forums I have read, rare.

true, only thing that has changed is that I bought a set of alexis M1active studio monitors, which have been to the left and right of my monitor (maybe the are unshielded, but haven't heard that being an issue sine the early 90's) in the past 2 months. That being said, I noticed the the yellowing in the bottom right hand corner way before this and had settled on that issue, but it is a known fact for these models. I have sensitive eyes, ears. still love the mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So do I my friend and my display is perfect. So is the one on my 20" 2007 iMac.

There was one iMac that had some panel issues. Most were fixed by Apple for free if I remember right. Yours is probably that model.

OP
O
Reaction score
So do I my friend and my display is perfect. So is the one on my 20" 2007 iMac.

There was one iMac that had some panel issues. Most were fixed by Apple for free if I remember right. Yours is probably that model.

but I'm most definitely out of warranty,:[

C

chas_m

thanks for the input. I think it is a hardware issue. iMac is a good idea, but this form factor inherently was doomed for failure over the longterm. It's only been 2 years. Next I think I getting a macbook pro.

Sorry, what?

The iMac has been around for almost 15 years now, with millions of very happy and loyal fans. "Doomed to failure??"

Also, how would a MacBook Pro that developed that same problem be any different?

Take it into an AASP. Doesn't matter that it's out of warranty. Apple is very likely to fix it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Totally agree with Chas. TAKE it to APPLE ASAP. There was one issue like I said above that was a defect and had nothing to do with Warranty.

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry, what?

The iMac has been around for almost 15 years now, with millions of very happy and loyal fans. "Doomed to failure??"

Also, how would a MacBook Pro that developed that same problem be any different?

Take it into an AASP. Doesn't matter that it's out of warranty. Apple is very likely to fix it.

I was meaning it was to good to be true to have everything fit in the form factor and work over time, but if you think they might fix it, I would be impressed.

OP
O
Reaction score
Totally agree with Chas. TAKE it to APPLE ASAP. There was one issue like I said above that was a defect and had nothing to do with Warranty.

you really think so after looking at the pic? I would really be happy if so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.