reducing amount of memory taken by video on iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Hi

Im not sure if this the right board to post on so apologies if not and mods please move to more appropriate location on forum.

I have been trying to work out how much memory I would use if I was to do 1hr worth of constant video recording from my iPhone. I believe that its approx 80mb per minute of recording so this would translate to 4.5gb approx for 1hr.

Are there any apps or is there a way to build an app which would reduce the 80mb per minute?

I presume quality of image would be affected too by doing this but would be interested in knowing if there is something out there already or whether something could be developed to do this?

Thanks for your time in reading. I look forward to your responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Apple's iPhone app has a video data rate of about 10.8Mbps at 1280x720. At 640x480 it is about 3.5Mbps. I think the audio rate is about 64kbps.

You cannot alter the settings for the Apple camera software. You'd need a camera app that allows such things.

When reducing the bit rate, you do affect the image for the worse. It is a balancing act between that and the result you are willing to live with.

Yes, a developer could develop an alternate camera app that allowed you to choose the bit rate. I do that in a time lapse app I'm developing. Depending on the resolution, I set an appropriate bit rate. There isn't anything limiting me to allow selectable bit rates for a resolution.

There are many many camera apps in the store, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that at least one allows you to do what you want.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
many thanks for that...I have been looking but without going into every app, it's a laborious task finding one.

I will continue my search now I know it's possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
FiLMiC Pro says it has bit rate settings along with different frame rates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.