Itunes library from Macbook to iMac

Reaction score
How can I get my iTunes library from my Macbook to my iMac, or from my iPod to my iMac?

I did a firewire transfer when I first got the iMac but iTunes did not transfer.

C

chas_m

1. Copy the entire iTunes folder (the whole thing) to a thumb drive or whatever. Copy that to the new machine.

2. If you have an existing iTunes library you don't want to mess up, move the copied library to some other location.

3. Open iTunes *holding down the option key while it launches*. Direct the resulting dialog box to the iTunes Library folder you just moved over. Done.

Reaction score
I want to do something similar. I keep all of my music on an external hard drive. I currently sync on my MacBook. I want to move my iTunes library to a Dropbox folder and sync on either my Macbook or iMac. I'll plug the external drive to the machine that I'm syncing on at the time. I want to make sure that this will work seamlessly with apps, contacts, photos, notes, mail settings etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.