Removing Icons from Dock

Reaction score
I need help in removing icons from the Dock on my new iMac. I've looked in help and it says to drag the icon to any place in the screen and it will disappear. I do that and the icon just bounces back to it's original position on the dock. What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Right click, and then uncheck the "Keep in dock" option.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry to be so dense but if see no "Keep in Dock" option when I right click on any icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, ummm.... I don't have access to my iMac right now...

It could be - Right click > Options > Keep in dock. ?

Does that work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! Glad to have been of assistance! :)

C

chas_m

The reason the icons kept bouncing back, btw, was because the programs were still open. You need to learn the Mac way of quitting programs, not closing the "red x". That doesn't (usually) really quit a program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP 2.3Ghz Intel dual core i5
The "Mac" way of quitting programs is to hit the red x, and then go to your dock and right click. You will see "quit" as an option, and you can click that. Also, you can click and hold on the icon, then drag it out to the desktop, which will also remove it. This is all on OS X Snow Leopard, so this may be somewhat different on other OS's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can close windows or quit programs any way you want. Just being familiar with the consequences of your choice will inform your decision.

C

chas_m

The "Mac" way of quitting programs is to hit the red x, and then go to your dock and right click.

No, this is incorrect (and a lot of extra work). There's no need to click the red "x" at all unless what you want to do is close the WINDOW, not the APPLICATION. There are some exceptions to this (Apple is not always perfectly consistent, to its own shame) but generally a simple command-q (or right-click the icon in the dock, choose "quit" or go to the menubar -> Application menu -> Quit) is all that's required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.