• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Paper or Plastic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
I think it's a good thing. Lasts longer and harder to copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You mean… people still use cash??!?!!

But yeah, it should help make it more durable. Especially the 5$ bills, they usually look like the dog used it as a chew chew toy.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think it's a good thing. Lasts longer and harder to copy.

But yeah, it should help make it more durable. Especially the 5$ bills, they usually look like the dog used it as a chew chew toy.

It sounds neat, and the pictures I saw were interesting. But one thing I wonder about is wrinkles and creases.
With paper you just smooth it out, most plastic sheeting I have seen it would make stacking and counting difficult as creases don't smooth out.

Maybe the polymer they are using doesn't have that problem. Will be interesting to see.

And, yes . . . some of us still do use old fashioned money! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
It sounds neat, and the pictures I saw were interesting. But one thing I wonder about is wrinkles and creases.
With paper you just smooth it out, most plastic sheeting I have seen it would make stacking and counting difficult as creases don't smooth out.

Maybe the polymer they are using doesn't have that problem. Will be interesting to see.

And, yes . . . some of us still do use old fashioned money! ;)
I assume the notes will be similar to the new birth certificates (they're also "plastic" and have a clear section). They are surprisingly almost like paper to handle. Without having seen a new birth certificate, I'd have assumed that they would be shiny, thick, awkward to handle, impossible to unbend, and a pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is excellent .. provide you can gather enough of it.

Used Down Under for decades and Scott in the States it does not mean donkey lol!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apparently they do. I thought we'd all moved to debit/credit by now. Haha.

So I read this funny bit in a news article about focus groups set up to assess the designs:
New documents show a focus group mistook the depiction of a strand of DNA on the $100 bill for a sex toy, and most people thought the see-through window on the polymer notes was shaped like the contours of a woman’s body. Tweaked versions of the new bills will go into circulation next month.

Also, Razor, since you ask, I'd like to suggest that you (since you have an interest) send me a new $100 bill...for science. I'll do an analysis of it to see if it meets my aesthetic needs. :p

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Also, Razor, since you ask, I'd like to suggest that you (since you have an interest) send me a new $100 bill...for science. I'll do an analysis of it to see if it meets my aesthetic needs. :p
Unfortunately, all we have is nasty old paper bills down here. I was hoping YOU could provide me samples of the modern plastic bills to look at. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I wonder how much it costs to make the plastic money as opposed to paper. Of course, you'd have to factor in how long each kind lasts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
There's an old urban myth that there is like 100 kilos of cocaine floating around the USA in the pores and fibers of $100 bills. I wonder if the presumedly non-porous plastic money would allow people to keep more of their coke? Also, they state in some studies that paper money is some of the filthiest, fecal-laden, virus harboring stuff on the planet. I wonder if plastic money would be easier to sanitize? Yes, these are the things that occupy my mind on a random Friday night. No offense intended. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I wonder how much it costs to make the plastic money as opposed to paper. Of course, you'd have to factor in how long each kind lasts.
As per this article, the bills cost twice as much but last 2.5 times as long. They're also recyclable so I suppose they could be remade at a cheaper price.

Yes, these are the things that occupy my mind on a random Friday night. No offense intended. ;)
You must be really out to left field tonight seeing as how it's Thursday. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
As per this article, the bills cost twice as much but last 2.5 times as long. They're also recyclable so I suppose they could be remade at a cheaper price.

You must be really out to left field tonight seeing as how it's Thursday. :p

LOL... feels like Friday - off for a week for Thanksgiving! Woot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
There's an old urban myth that there is like 100 kilos of cocaine floating around the USA in the pores and fibers of $100 bills. I wonder if the presumedly non-porous plastic money would allow people to keep more of their coke? Also, they state in some studies that paper money is some of the filthiest, fecal-laden, virus harboring stuff on the planet. I wonder if plastic money would be easier to sanitize? Yes, these are the things that occupy my mind on a random Friday night. No offense intended. ;)

I've read the same thing as well, though I -heard- that the $20 bill is most often used :)

Most people don't usually walk around with cash in 100s in general, unless you take out a pile of cash to uh, buy something, so I and anyone I know haven't seen these yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.