What may be causing this fluctuation in my internet speed

Reaction score
Hello. I'm trying to download os x updates to newly installed mac os x leopard and as you can see my internet speed fluctuates crazyly. One minute it shows "15 minutes to completion" next "6 hours"

What may be causing this?..

Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 8.38.46 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For starters...three possibilities:

1. It could be your internet connection. If you have "cable modem"...this is a shared service...bandwidth is shared with your neighbors.
2. It could be on the other end (Apple's end).
3. A combination of both.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Since I'm on an DSL router which I only share with my sister and she has no problem with internet (she's on an windows xp machine) that leaves only Apple problem..

Thanks..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Since I'm on an DSL router which I only share with my sister and she has no problem with internet (she's on an windows xp machine) that leaves only Apple problem..

Thanks..

That's a huge leap without any intermediate troubleshooting steps. You say your sister isn't having any problems - but you weren't either - until you went to download that large file. It's fluctuating because your data rates are fluctuating between you and the router. If you want to pin it on the Mac - do about 10 speed tests in a row from the problem location and then do 10 in a row with your sister's machine - and see what the results look like.

I'm assuming you're on a wireless link? There are too many things that can impact performance there to talk about in a single thread.

Could your ISP be throttling you after the 1st 100MB of download? That's not unheard of. I'd be very surprised if the problem was with Apple - as they're not hurting for bandwidth for their servers.

OP
R
Reaction score
You're right.

1- I checked countless times from my ethernet connected windows 7 pc. Appr. 7 Mbps (down) to 1 Mbps (up) with 15-20 ms of latency

2- I checked from my sister's 54 Mbit windows xp laptop countless times and it was the same: Appr. 7 Mbps (down) to 1 Mbps (up) with 15-20 ms of latency

3- Also no problem with 2 iPhones and an iPad.

4- Tries downloading files from http ed2k and torrent p2p networks.

All the results were the same. So it was not Apple's server problem but my Macbook Pro's problem somehow. So I had been meddling with it for a day and somehow I got it fixed by one of these: (I do not know which)

- Deleting the password for the wireless network
- Changing the WEP password to a more secure WPA 2 Personel version
- Deleting the whole keychain
- Doing the CMD OPT P R thing (until you hear to startup sounds) to reset all cached settings.
- Moving laptop very close to the router.
- Resetting router for a dozen times
- Resetting Airport for a dozen times.

Hope helps someone in the future if they have the same problems.

Thanks everyone..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.